• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My first real auto in anger...

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Just about every flight I finish with an autorotation (aka 'auto'); where power is cut to the motor and the heli is left to descend under the momentum of the blades. This takes place from below knee height.

A while ago I was flying my heli (Blade 400) about 7ft up and suddenly the motor cut out. I did all that I was supposed to do; go slightly into neg pitch to keep the blades going, keep the nose forward, let it settle into descent and flare for a nice landing, skids high allowing for the forward momentum. Perfect.

Walked over to the heli with a triumphant feel only to find that the battery had disconnected. The heli had (perfectly) auto'd itself! What a let-down!

Today was different though.

About 20ft up in forward flight the motor-gear suddenly left the pinion. Practically all power was gone and a horrible screech noise resounded as the pinion tried to turn the main gear by it's tips. I continued in this fashion, descending to about 8ft where I hit throttle hold and auto'd in for a reasonably good landing.

Can I hear a woohoo?

Another flite test member witnessed the event and was heard to comment along the lines - "That's why I don't fly helis!".

I don't know why anyone would be so narrow-minded... do you? Lobstermash??

;)

G

PS - 'in anger' in case you don't know - a phrase along the lines 'to use for real', as opposed just as a test or training exercise.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, when I heard the awful noise start I wondered how many spare parts you'd be ordering... I was very impressed at the landing and minimal damage. My comment, as I recall, was before the heli was safely on the ground?

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Possibly - was all a blur to me!

I'm glad I wasn't inverted at the time - would have likely been a different story.