My first successful flip

I lost my nano QX yesterday. Winds were 5mph but it was doing fine in stability mode. I switched to agility mode and practiced hovering in the wind with different orientations for a full battery.

On my last battery I tried to practice flipping it. I was able to flip it 3 times! I put it back into stability mode and was practicing figure eights. The wind started to gust around 20 MPH right as I was banking into the wind. The wind raised me to 30 feet almost instantly....which was above the houses....where the wind was 30+. I was still banking at this point into the wind and within a few seconds I was close to 150 feet. With the sun is was almost invisible at this point. I reduced throttle but I couldn't manage to fight the wind without gaining altitude. I started chasing it. Yes, I was the idiot running with a dx6i in flip flops down the street.

It was already 2 blocks away and still gaining altitude. As I was chasing it I got the idea to change back into acro mode and invert into the ground. Better to crash it than to lose it. When I changed into acro mode it stopped responding, stabilized out and let the wind take it. This was 2 minutes into the battery. At that rate, it could be anywhere. I searched for about 30 minutes but then gave up.

A few lessons learned:
1) Wear better running shoes (jk :p)
2) Don't underestimate the wind's effect on a mini quad!
3) Fly in more open spaces

I'm not sure if I should buy another nano qx to continue practicing or build an electrohub/h-quad or some other similar kit. I don't want to spend too much money so was thinking a KK2.1.5 board or a Flip 1.5 but for a few extra bucks I can get a miniAPM/ReadyToFlyer 2.6 where I can add GPS (I'd have loved to have that yesterday).

Oh well, I'm starting to get over losing it, thankfully it was relatively cheap. Still hurt!

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I am sorry for the loss, I feel for you. I fly mine out front everyday. I almost lost it into a neighbors yard and got it stuck in our tree 2x. I hate letting mine get above the roof line for the same fear.

I lost my UMX Radian in a similar fashion, winds up high were stronger than anticipated and I watched it twirl away.

I forgot about my mSR in the closet. I broke it out but it just doesn't fly the same with that pesky flybar. Looking forward to my next quad.