How windy is too windy?

I am returning to the hobby after a long absence. Electric power is new to me, so keep that in mind. I built a FT Simple Scout with Power Pack C with my son and in 15km/hr winds it is blown right back into the ground. Now, I admit I was using an 8x6 prop as I am out of 12x4, so maybe they had something to do with it, but it was just bodyslammed. Advice on wind conditions of these park flyers and props is most welcome. I’m trying not to get discouraged. Btw, this is just a wonderful community. Keep it up.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Today was too windy for me. I have flown my FT Tiny Trainer in 20MPH winds with gusts. Today, I could hold position but not advance. LOL

It will depend on the model, the pilot's skillset, and the wind condition. Straight non gusting winds are much easier to fly than swirling, gusty wind.

Today was too windy for me. I have flown my FT Tiny Trainer in 20MPH winds with gusts. Today, I could hold position but not advance. LOL

It will depend on the model, the pilot's skillset, and the wind condition. Straight non gusting winds are much easier to fly than swirling, gusty wind.
Good point. These gusts were killing me. I have bad luck getting back into the groove.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
My rule of thumb is: Mighty Minis <10, swappables & larger <15, if it's really gusty - build.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the above comments, it depends on the plane and the wind. An 8-10 mph steady wind can be a lot of fun to fly in. You can just hang it the air like a kite.

Anything 5 mph or below should be no problem. Wind in the 5-10 mph, will depend on the wind, a gusty wind will ground you, a steady wind is Ok. Over 10 mph is going to depend on your plane & piloting stills. A trainer is not going to do well. A zippy plane just doesn't care.

Great advice. I went home and built. Lol. I suspect he dihedral, light weight, and being under propped just couldn’t handle the gusts. Plus the plane hasn’t been trimmed so it was a rodeo.

Crazed Scout Pilot

yea, if you're new, just wait to fly until the wind is lower. I have a Simple Scout and it especially has trouble with the wind. My guess is because of the large wing area. But the Simple Scout is a great trainer. I love it. Don't get discouraged keep it up.