"Near Miss" with an American Airlines passenger jet

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I never bothered reading the story when it was floating around the net. It smelled like BS to me. Anything military wouldn't be near a commercial airport. Anything hobby would be too small to even be noticed or to do any damage beyond a bird strike. Commercial jets are built to handle a bird strike, with the exception of a bird getting sucked into an engine.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Where on earth is that author/reporter(nikropht) getting their information from.

nikropht said:
Most toy and hobby RC Radios only work at a range of about 300 feet
They must of brought their RC gear in the toy aisle of the supermarket.

nikropht said:
....these large-scale models can hold about 200 ounces of fuel. This gives them at best a max flight time of about 10 minutes, and a range of about a mile.
It's a bit more than a mile range.

nikropht said:
.... FAA is trying to whip up a media frenzy to help people forget the knockout punch it got from 29-year-old Australian Raphael Pirker after the NTSB sided with him.

Raphael Pirker is Austrian from Austria NOT Australia.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Its all media hype trying to work the American people into a frenzy. I do believe that it is also the FAA doing what they can to control what they can.

We really need to have the AMA and educate the public about our hobby and not let these morons win this.

This is all about more government control over all aspects of our lives.