Help! Need help identifying camera circuit board

Stryker67

Hi all, I just finished assembling my first FT Simple Cub and I wanted to put on a camera unit I pulled of a cheap drone. I need help figuring out how to trigger the camera to record/ take photo. The drone I scrapped had a 2s LiPo so I assume red and black are +5v and ground but the white must be some sort of trigger. I am almost certain it is not Video out because the camera unit has an integral SD card port.
549771FE-CF74-4317-A027-1C4DEF085E13.jpeg
7A033B58-94E3-4477-929F-E9D6B2649465.jpeg
869333F7-DFB2-4169-B98A-B61F5DE76DC7.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What drone did you take it from? Im not having luck searching the board number. Maybe we can track down its replacement and get more information.

Off hand more then likely the white wire gets grounded to trigger the picture IF that is a single shot system. If its full on video then it may be something else.

Stryker67

I found the replacement on linparts.com (see picture below) and I managed to pull some videos off the sd card that was in it, so I know it shoots video, but cannot confirm it take photos. The replacement part uses a plug with a jumper wire, but on mine, wires are directly soldered to the board.
1F1ED455-3DEF-4E59-BEA6-FE0F8848F6D9.jpeg
Thanks.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
After looking at some reviews of the quad itself I would suggest you dont bother with that if its quality is anything like what it came out of.

I would suggest grabbing one of the SQ11, SQ12, or SQ13 cameras from Amazon, bang-good, or Walmart. They are small and cheap and record well baring the odd audio sync issues but you would be editing out the sound anyways for videos in most cases. I have an SQ 12 that works well enough for flying and crashing.

Stryker67

Fair point. I’m looking to put fpv on the plane in the future and I had the cam on hand to record some test footage. Just wanted to see if anyone would know how to rig something quick and dirty.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh you definitely do not want to use that for FPV mate. The video would be poor and hard to fly with not to mention the latency. By the time you see something you would either have passed it or crashed into it. FPV gear is set up totally different.

Stryker67

Right, I was planning on getting a whole new setup for fpv later on, but wanted to use this cheap camera to record some flight time onto an onboard sd card (not for fpv) in the meantime. I just don’t know how to get it to record.

FTurner90

Well, I guess you already figured that one out, however I am really interested, how did you actually do it at last? I mean, I had a SQ11, and I tried to do the same thing, however it did not really work out actually. Every single time I was trying to record, the image was just terrible. I have read a lot of things on different forums, it turned out that I messed up with the circuit card assembly. I tried to remake everything, however the end-result did not change, not at all. Recently, I got nervous so I have thrown that camera away.

Last edited:

mastermalpass

Elite member
Eww, that quad's in a ┼ instead of X or ├┤arrangement and still using a cam, no wonder you tore it apart!

But yeah, considering how cheap an FPV cam + antenna can be these days, you are better off buying the dedicated kit.