Need help on first four channel plane!

SkyEye

So I recently bought a PZ T-28 (not the UM) and I maidened it which resulted in a crash. I plan to get a second flight in on it but am a little intimidated. This is my first four channel plane and unless I get an AMA membership (which I don't plan to do yet) I can't go to a field where someone can help me. So I'm pretty much asking if someone can help me out with some tips on flying four channel planes please. Reply for more information. Thank you! :)

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Simulators are a good place to start on your own. You may also try visiting a club or two and get some hands on tips. You can also get a feel for how the club will fit for you during a visit.

You can try very low rates and 30-50% expo with a large area with tall grass for future flights.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Check out the beginner series.

First, learn to fly toward yourself, remember, point the stick at the lower wing to level.
Second, learn level turns, this means learning the throttle to elevator ratio relative to the the bank angle (whoo, big words, just learn how much elevator at a given turn, add more for steep and so on...
Third, get it in your head that elevator controls speed, throttle controls altitude (you cannot climb without adding throttle, if you dive, you should lower throttle, pitch up will slow, pitch down will accerlerate)
Fourth, learn landing techniques, this simply means easing on the throttle, and using the rudder and some aileron to coast it in, then the elevator to slow down and flare, Voila!
If you have more questions, feel at will to ask

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
What is your flying experience? I learned four channel on a Delta Ray. With SAFE and being able to switch back to beginner mode is a scary but fairly easy transition. My only crashes were when I tried to do loops too close to the ground and at too low of a speed. What Tx are you using? The Delta Ray is $150 BNF and the Sport Cub S is $99. They are both great four channel trainers and within a few months I was flying a Pitts without SAFE. I still use beginner mode a quite a bit from low stress cruising but I also fly inverted and do other areobatics.

SkyEye

To reply to BridgeInspector, the Trojan on the Phoenix 4 is nothing like the real deal (I own a simulator) it's not as touchy, which brings me to the fact that I only have a Dx5e which you cant program, although I have moved the position of the servo control horn to kinda give it less sensitivity hope it'll work. And the flying club in Tucson does not exactly have the best weather and they don't even let me taxi or pass the flight line with out a membership. They do mean well though.

For IFlyRCStuff thank you for all the suggestions, I figured at the last second when I maidened it that the basket ball court I was landing on had a wall a the end off it so I couldn't do go arounds. I'll probably take of the gear and put it in the short grass that I have. Thank you for all the tips and I have watched the beginner series. (Flite test doesn't really focus on beginner stuff anymore and It just completely changed flite test, I miss Chad's garage. Am I the only one who thinks that?)

Capt_Beavis I flew the champ before this (I know you've had a bad experience with it but I like it) and practiced for about 4 months on the simulator (Phoenix 4) I'm using a Dx5e and I really don't want to another plane at the time just cause my birthday and Christmas are no where near and I actually might go to a ultra micro Icon A5 after this. Don't really know.

I have footage of the maiden (don't want to post it cause it was to close to my house) and I see what I did wrong... I did Tricks on a maiden

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
My second experience with the Champ was better. Be careful with the Icon, it seems to like to stall on the simulator.

SkyEye

Maybe a Radian then (I want to get in to thermal soaring and I can just take it up with throttle and let it glide, I've heard you can get an easy 30min flight off one battery)

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Maybe a Radian then (I want to get in to thermal soaring and I can just take it up with throttle and let it glide, I've heard you can get an easy 30min flight off one battery)

definetely, maybe not 30 min at first, but it is excellent, and can certainly do 30min