Autonomous sail plane

smithevryn

I would like to build an autonomous long distance sail plane for way point missions and long distance scenic flying. Im looking for an airframe to buy or build. I already have all of my electronics ( flight controller, gps, vtx, camera, rx, ect). I have tried the volantex pheonix 2400 and the volantex asw-28. I have bought the pheonix 2400 3 times and the asw-28 once. I have come to the conclusion that hand launching the airplane is the most problematic aspect of what im trying to accomplish. I have had several successful flights and way point missions but again, the launching of the aircraft has resulted on my absence of an airframe, currently. I was hoping someone could dirrect me to an airframe that is both a good long distance sail plane and has landing gear for runway take offs and landings. I apriciate yalls helps here

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What firmware are you planning on running on your flight controller??

Have you thought about just adding landing gear to an existing model?

If you can't make the volantex birds work, you are going to be looking at something a LOT more expensive.

LB

smithevryn

What firmware are you planning on running on your flight controller??

Have you thought about just adding landing gear to an existing model?

If you can't make the volantex birds work, you are going to be looking at something a LOT more expensive.

LB
I'm using inav for the maytek H743 flight controller. I saw a brief video of 3d printed landing gear for the pheonix 2400 but I don't have a 3d printer. I have come across the volantex ranger 2400, it seems it does come with landing gear. I have made them work in the past. I think my problem is that, because it's such a big sail plane, my hand launches and not the smoothest and I think that when I have an incorrect throw, the flight controller either dosnt react quick enough, or it reacts too quickly. With the asw-28, I launched it flat and level with the ground, the flight controller is set for a 20 degree climb angle, and the plane nose dived into grass, and the airplane was not level upon impact. The left wing hit the ground first and tore free from its mounting points. For that reason, I think fixed landing gear would have been useful when taking off.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The auto launch parameters for when to start the motor are tuneable. Have you tried adjusting them?

I have a super lightweight (sub250g) Strix Nano Goblin running INAV and it launches very easy on defaults.

I have a HEAVY RMRC StratoSurfer that I hand autolaunch with ardupilot Plane on default autolaunch parameters with no issues. It is similar in design to the Ranger.

I also have a Volantex Phoenix 2400 that has no flight controller. It launches much easier than the StratoSurfer with hardly any toss.

One thing to be careful of with ardupilot is not to change the orientation/direction of the plane after switching into auto mode and/or arming. It will try to go back to the heading it was on at the time it was engaged.

LB

Last edited: