Need Help with Stick Version of Tiny Trainer...

wbvike

I built this one for my son and the first maiden flight it flew, steered right and i basically had no control of the plane. It took a nose dive and broke the prop.

Turns out the screw on the linkage stopper for the rudder was loose and the servo rod was not moving much causing no response when trying to turn. I fixed it and went for round two maiden the next day.

Plane takes off fine, but this time it steers itself to the left with no input from me, and when try to get it to come back to the right it does nothing. The elevons work fine as i had to use this and the throttle to get it to land. I tried this a couple times with the same results.

So i put this stick version next to my regular built tiny trainer and turned both on to see how they compare in regards to how for the rudder moves left and right and to ensure that i was indeed turning left and right. To me, everything was almost exact in the distance travel of the rudder and elevon...?

Any suggestions as to what the issue could possibly be? I was thinking it might not be nose heavy enough, but even still if that was the case i would think it could still turn right or left. Thanks in advance.

Few Pics for reference:

stick verion3.JPG
stick version1.JPG
stick version2.JPG
stick version5.JPG

Last edited:

Revere

Hard to tell from the pics but have you offset the motor correctly to counteract the torque of the prop?
Is the dihedral on both wings the same? Or is there a weight difference between the left and right wing as the right wing looks to be made with a different type of foamboard due to the colour, does the pinkish foamboard weigh less than the white?

Jbing

Was the CG set at about 25% of the chord? Check and see if there is any incidence between the main wing and the plane of the tail. Is the wing and the tail level to one another when sighting from in front or behind? And are you sure the controls aren't out of rig? Is the rudder off center or ailerons out of neutral? Hand launch it without power to see if in a powered off glide it tracks straight. If so, it needs right thrust (and down) in the firewall.

wbvike

I did offset the motor for that very reason. What I did was cut out the mini power pod that has the right angle in it and glued to unto the balsa wood.

The pink foam is the insulating foam, but I'm not sure about weight differences between the two. I don't think that's the case because the very first flight it veered to the right with no input from me and the second try it went left... I didn't actually try turning the rudder for a left turn because I didn't want it to crash nose first so I had the stick pegged all the way to the right and it just continued with the left turn... I might try something with thr servo and see if it makes a difference.

wbvike

I did a short glide test and tossed it to my son. It seemed to us to glide pretty much straight. I was going to give it another shot and realized that the motor mount glue had come loose and then I left the transmitter at home....:mad: for the CG, I used e same as the normal tiny trainer build. I did this because I measured and made the fuselage the same length as the actual tiny trainer. I have the right thrust angle to the same as what the power pod calls for. Might do a quick video of the rudder and such and see if you guys might notice something I'm over looking.

wbvike

So I tried another flight....same result. Takes off straight and then tracks left with no input from me. And will turn left when prompted but nothing for the right even though the rudder is moving as it should. Maybe I should put my key fob camera facing backwards to make sure that the rudder is indeed turning to right. I did get it on video, I will try to upload.