Need help with tricopter build for sony NEX

ssteve

Looking to build a tri, and was thinking I would start the build with the Bat Bone kit. I would like to run my Sony NEX(actually a6000 on it for video recording) and it weighs 14oz and 19oz depending on the lens, and a simple 5.8ghz fpv setup with board camera. Im wondering what motor/prop combo I should run to carry the weight? I was thinking a 1300kv with a 10" prop. Should be ok I assume?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
My gut tells me that you want something bigger than the Bat Bone if you're going to carry a Nex. You'll want redundancy in your motors in case of failure, and a good flight controller that you can rely on. I'd be looking at these options:

Hexacopter
Naza M Lite with GPS, for auto return to home.

Maybe instead build a BatBone to FliteTest specs and put a GoPro on it. The Bat Bone isn't designed to carry much weight.

Just my opinion, if I had a DSLR I'd be very thoughtful of making it fly!

ssteve

I'm open to a different frame of a tricopter, but I'd really like to stick with a tri for the perspective I can get when filming events. Not looking to take it out of my line of site. The sony nex isn't very large since it's mirrorless. This is my first build so I think I might just go with the normal dt750's and 8045 props and see if I can pack the next around. But at $80 I am questioning the bat bone and leaning towards something like the hobbyking x900 and just replace the cheapo hardware.