Need Help

_vsamurai

I'm a beginner at building planes. I'm having a competition that will be held in 2 months time. So the main rounds in the competition is flying around a set of poles (first round without additional weight) , and the second round is flying with a load and dropping it in a drop zone ( Golf balls will be carried as load. More the golf balls the better, as each golf ball dropped gives more points).

Some of the main rules...
1. The wing span of the plane shouldn't be more than 1.2 metres
2. Thrust to weight ratio should not exceed 1 ( without the load)
3. Diameter of the propeller shouldn't exceed 12 inches.
4. Only electrical components should be used.
5. Use of gyroscopes (gyros), flight controllers and programming assistance are prohibited

Please help me by suggesting some design ideas, the components that I can use for the build, and the amount of load I can carry with it( number of golf balls I can carry to give me a good amount of points).

Thankyou

L Edge

Master member
I'm a beginner at building planes. I'm having a competition that will be held in 2 months time. So the main rounds in the competition is flying around a set of poles (first round without additional weight) , and the second round is flying with a load and dropping it in a drop zone ( Golf balls will be carried as load. More the golf balls the better, as each golf ball dropped gives more points).

Some of the main rules...
1. The wing span of the plane shouldn't be more than 1.2 metres
2. Thrust to weight ratio should not exceed 1 ( without the load)
3. Diameter of the propeller shouldn't exceed 12 inches.
4. Only electrical components should be used.
5. Use of gyroscopes (gyros), flight controllers and programming assistance are prohibited

Please help me by suggesting some design ideas, the components that I can use for the build, and the amount of load I can carry with it( number of golf balls I can carry to give me a good amount of points).

Thankyou

Can plane be hand launched or is landing gear required?
Do golf balls have to be dropped all at once or can you do it in multiple tries?

_vsamurai

Can plane be hand launched or is landing gear required?
Do golf balls have to be dropped all at once or can you do it in multiple tries?
The plane can be launched both ways.
And yes, the golf balls need to be dropped all at once in a single try.

ColoFlyer

The FT Legacy and the FT Guinea Pig would be perfect for this, EXCEPT that the Legacy has a 1.43 meter wingspan and the FT Guinea Pig has a 1.47 meter wingspan.

Just some possibilities.

The FT Bushwacker might possibly work with a wingspan of 1.14 meters. You might be able to rig a bomb drop from under the landing gear.
Bushwacker Plans are found here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

The other plane that might work if you are allowed a twin motor plane is the FT B25 Mitchell, wingspan of 1.19 Meters.
Bomb Drop

Shurik-1960

The bomb bay is made in the fuselage, where there are CG models .For the upper wing -25% of the wing chord. The number of balls is determined by the volume of the bomb compartment. It is possible to thicken the fuselage with a smooth transition to a larger number of balls.

Attachments

• Устройство БОМБОЛЮКА.jpg
    Устройство БОМБОЛЮКА.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0

_vsamurai

The FT Legacy and the FT Guinea Pig would be perfect for this, EXCEPT that the Legacy has a 1.43 meter wingspan and the FT Guinea Pig has a 1.47 meter wingspan.

Just some possibilities.

The FT Bushwacker might possibly work with a wingspan of 1.14 meters. You might be able to rig a bomb drop from under the landing gear.
Bushwacker Plans are found here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

The other plane that might work if you are allowed a twin motor plane is the FT B25 Mitchell, wingspan of 1.19 Meters.
Bomb Drop
Thankyou for responding. So the winners of this competition the previous year was able to carry a load of around 46 golf balls. They managed to do this with a plane of T/W ratio of 0.7. weight of one ball is around 47g. Weight of their plane without the load was around 750 grams. Any ideas for building a plane that can lift such a load. The T/W ratio without the payload should be less than 1.

_vsamurai

The bomb bay is made in the fuselage, where there are CG models .For the upper wing -25% of the wing chord. The number of balls is determined by the volume of the bomb compartment. It is possible to thicken the fuselage with a smooth transition to a larger number of balls.
Thank you for responding. Is your plane made out of balsa or foam. What material would you suggest if I want to build a plane that can carry a heavy load? The T/W ratio of the plane should be less then 1 without the pay load

HVB79

Given the rules you posted, what you want to do is build a biplane. If the rules don't specify a maximum wing area building a plane with two wings that are both 1.2m in span will give you a plane with a great deal more lift than a mono-plane with the same wingspan.

_vsamurai

Given the rules you posted, what you want to do is build a biplane. If the rules don't specify a maximum wing area building a plane with two wings that are both 1.2m in span will give you a plane with a great deal more lift than a mono-plane with the same wingspan.
Thank you for responding. That's a nice idea. Will look into some bi wing plane designs.

Shurik-1960

For the room, I would focus on a model made of 3mm foam with a wing with a convex profile. I made models with such wings using the following technology: I cut out a flat-convex wing from a foam board, the top of which was covered with a 5mm layer of gypsum, then sanded the surface. I heated a 3mm sheet of foam + a wing block with a hair dryer and put a sheet on the block , and laid the upper part of the piece of timber on top. When the sheet cooled, I got a wing with a convex profile, which I reinforced with a bar of coal. I tore the wing with Titanium glue diluted with alcohol for rigidity .This profile gives maximum lift in the premis