New Scratch built foamie "Polaris" ready for maiden!

NewZee

Well my new "Polaris" is ready for her maiden, the design can be found on RCgroups.com the Polaris can take off and land on water, grass, snow gravel etc. am waiting for a break in the weather, and will try and post a video of the maiden flight.

photo 1 (3) - Copy.JPG photo 2 (4).JPG photo 3 (4).JPG photo 4 (3).JPG

NewZee

Thanks Ron, my planes always "look nice" just before the maiden flights....afterwards.....not so much.....:black_eyed:

NewZee

dang, that is a nice looking plane.
would a plane like that have enough power to take off from grass?

OH Yeah! check out the thread in RC Groups, (Just search on Polaris) , or look on You Tube , there are many, many videos of the Polaris taking off and landing on just about everything, power is a 2200KV motor, on 3S with a 6X4 prop.

ghost civic

is the wing completely flat?

I watched a few videos, suckers are fast. saw one that took off from a pool of water on a wet field. didn't take much distance for it to take off!

NewZee

is the wing completely flat?

I watched a few videos, suckers are fast. saw one that took off from a pool of water on a wet field. didn't take much distance for it to take off!

The wing is completely flat (Except for the CF spar), it does have a positive angle of incidence, and the motor has a neg 2 degree thrust angle so it jumps up pretty fast, the bottom of the fuse also has a step which lets it break the surface easier. it was actually a very easy build, We have a lot of snow around here so I started to think about this over the winter, now that it's done the snow is gone!!! Assembly Drawing Preview.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
What material (foam board) did you use for this? Would like to know if anyone had tried DTFB for this one. I just got a HK Skipper (basically the same type of plane) for my birthday and it flies great. Good luck with yours.

NewZee

What material (foam board) did you use for this? Would like to know if anyone had tried DTFB for this one. I just got a HK Skipper (basically the same type of plane) for my birthday and it flies great. Good luck with yours.

The original plans (Steve Shumate design on RCGroups.com) calls for 6mm Depron, I used DTFB, because it will see water I took the paper off one side, and covered the entire plane with colored packing tape, since the DTFB is a little thinner than 6 mm, and the packing tape is lightweight my weight is still very close to design specification. I know many others have used DTFB as well as a host of other materials as well.

NewZee

Here is a video of a recent "re-maiden" of my Polaris! This plane is very durable and can fly well with a lot of damage it rebuilds easily as well.