New to flying! Would like some guidance as to what transmitter/electronics to use.

ArtyZak

Hello guys,
I am new to the RC hobby and this forum and am excited to be an active member within the community!
I recently finished building the foamboard portion of the FT Spear using plans provided by FliteTest (Thank you for that) and now I'm looking into buying all the electronics.
I was planning on getting:
the twin engine power pack C (https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-c-fixed-wing-large-twin-engine/)
a Floureon battery (https://www.amazon.com/FLOUREON-2Pa...=1517194756&sr=8-1&keywords=2200mah+3s+2+pack)
a Radiolink AT9S transmitter (https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Tr...nements=p_72:1248963011&psc=1#customerReviews)
I was wondering whether the three choices are OK for beginners and would sync together without any issues. I was looking for an affordable transmitter and the Radiolink seems like the best bang for the buck (but then again, I'm a noob as you can tell by my amazon shopping so I'm not sure).
Thank you in advance!

mrf

In terms of transmitter/receiver I am a big fan of the FlySky i6 (sometimes branded as the Turnigy i6). It's 6 channel, and you can store multiple models to it. It also does frequency hopping and buddy boxing and has dual rates/expo. Mine has lasted me 2 years and is still going great. For A$66 it's probably the best value beginner radio out there in my opinion (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-tgy-i6-afhds-transmitter-and-6ch-receiver-mode-2.html).

The radio comes with a receiver pre-bound, but you can pick additional ones up at hobby king pretty cheaply as well (about $13).

With respect to the battery you'll just want to double check that the ESCs in the C power pack come with an XT60 connector to match your battery. It appears that they do from the picture, but someone on the forums will probably be able to confirm.

*Edit:* Changed FrSky to FlySky as pointed out by @rockyboy

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums @ArtyZak! :applause:

@mrf, I think you're referring to the FlySky i6 - that extra 'L" is important - it's a whole different brand :)

I started with one of those too (i6), but moved to an open source based radio in about three months. That FlySky works just fine to learn on, but its limited in how easy it is to support multiple models and deal with even intermediate level expo, mixing, and control setups. Depending on how long you think it will be before you start building up a hangar, it can still be a great and affordable choice to get going with.

I don't have any personal experience with the Radiolink brand, but it looks pretty interesting - a lot more capabilities than the FlySky i6, but you're paying a bit more too. Right about the same level of $$ as a FrSky QX7 - which has a larger community support base than Radio Link, but a reputation of being more difficult to use. I have a programming background and found it very comfortable to work with, YMMV.

For more discussion on transmitters, check out the info in this thread too - it currently has good info on the Spektrum, Jumper, and FrSky (OpenTX based) lines of radios, and Graupner is about to be added.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37966-Which-Transmitter-You-Should-Buy

Bottom line - I think you'll have great success for at least a year or two with the Radiolink transmitter - receiver costs are pretty reasonable, and it'll handle up to what I'd consider intermediate level functions. The only risk would be help if you run into problems configuring it - I'd suggest taking a spin around youtube and seeing if you can find walk through videos on setting planes up and troubleshooting with it.

If you have a local group of RC flyers it's a good idea to see what they are flying with too - they are often your best source of support in the beginning stages of the hobby, and having something they know how to use can make it easier too.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome to the forums @ArtyZak! :applause:

@mrf, I think you're referring to the FlySky i6 - that extra 'L" is important - it's a whole different brand :)

I started with one of those too (i6), but moved to an open source based radio in about three months. That FlySky works just fine to learn on, but its limited in how easy it is to support multiple models and deal with even intermediate level expo, mixing, and control setups. Depending on how long you think it will be before you start building up a hangar, it can still be a great and affordable choice to get going with.

I don't have any personal experience with the Radiolink brand, but it looks pretty interesting - a lot more capabilities than the FlySky i6, but you're paying a bit more too. Right about the same level of $$ as a FrSky QX7 - which has a larger community support base than Radio Link, but a reputation of being more difficult to use. I have a programming background and found it very comfortable to work with, YMMV.

For more discussion on transmitters, check out the info in this thread too - it currently has good info on the Spektrum, Jumper, and FrSky (OpenTX based) lines of radios, and Graupner is about to be added.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37966-Which-Transmitter-You-Should-Buy

Bottom line - I think you'll have great success for at least a year or two with the Radiolink transmitter - receiver costs are pretty reasonable, and it'll handle up to what I'd consider intermediate level functions. The only risk would be help if you run into problems configuring it - I'd suggest taking a spin around youtube and seeing if you can find walk through videos on setting planes up and troubleshooting with it.

If you have a local group of RC flyers it's a good idea to see what they are flying with too - they are often your best source of support in the beginning stages of the hobby, and having something they know how to use can make it easier too.

+1 to Rockyboy's suggestions. I personally like the Spektrum DX6 because there's a lot of plug n' play planes out there that I can pick up at the local hobby store and it'll bind right up to my current radio; I don't have to do a lot of fancy tricks to get them working. That said, that's what works for ME, and what works for ME may not be what you find to be best.

I opted for Spektrum's setup because 1) there are tons of people at my dad's flying field AND at my flying field that use Spektrum, so I can get help, 2) their wireless trainer function is pretty nice when learning via buddy box, 3) the controller felt really comfortable and responsive to me vs. the FrSky Taranis that I'd been looking at (this is a matter of feel, and subjective; some people love the way the Taranis sticks feel stock, others hate it and upgrade the gimbals), and 4) I didn't have to change out any receivers to share my dad's planes - I could do an initial swap of the planes between transmitters using an SD card, and fly one of his planes while he's flying something else.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you think is going to work for you. I see a lot of people pushing FrSky, but it's not easy to figure out at first with the OpenTX software. Others like Futaba, or Graupner. Go with what works for you. :)

mrf

@rockyboy thanks for proof reading my posts! I did indeed mean the FlySky i6. They're branded as Turnigy i6 in Australia, and I remembered the alternative started with an F and ended with Sky. Who would have thought there'd be an FrSky and a FlySky :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@rockyboy thanks for proof reading my posts! I did indeed mean the FlySky i6. They're branded as Turnigy i6 in Australia, and I remembered the alternative started with an F and ended with Sky. Who would have thought there'd be an FrSky and a FlySky :p

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if they were US based companies they would have used some trade branding laws to sue the crap out of each other and force the newcomer to change their name.

And I wish they would (change the name that is) cause it's confusing as heck!

ArtyZak

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I wasn't able to check the forums for a while but I'll probably be getting the 2800 mah batteries and the turnigy i6 remote as suggested, I'll let you know how things go.