New to forum new to flight.

Traznex

Hi, Derek from Utah.

First time flyer after watching begginner shows, and the review on the apprentice. I picked an E-flight rtf apprentice s e15.
Never flown before but feel confident with some guidance I will be ok.

I love Rc cars, own several. Hope this works out the same.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Hey man! Welcome to the family. :)

The apprentice is a great trainer, we use them at my club all the time. Make sure you've got a nice big field to maiden in and you'll be golden! Just remember to keep your fingers on the sticks all the time. That will really help you to 'feel' what the aircraft is doing and better respond to things you don't want it to be doing. If you just make jerky stick motions, like jam the stick over and then let it spring back without keeping your finger on it, you lose the sense of connection with the aircraft.

Happy flying!

Last edited:

Traznex

How big is big enough. I'm pretty nervous to madien. Hoping my friend who flys will be able to with me. I plan on following there begginner video series suggestions. Learning to take off and land first, then turns then the rest.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
How big is big enough. I'm pretty nervous to madien. Hoping my friend who flys will be able to with me. I plan on following there begginner video series suggestions. Learning to take off and land first, then turns then the rest.

Welcome! After practicing orientation on an iphone r/c simulator (Absolute RC), I made the mistake of making my first flight with only slightly more than a football field to work with... 2... or 4 football fields should be enough. Then again, I started with an FT Spitfire on a 9x6 prop. Not your typical trainer. You might be fine with a football field.

Nitro211

Hello I am new to the forum
I want to take up flying rc but not sure what to start with helicopter, quadcopter or plane as I wanted a change from rc cars
I appreciate any help that someone can give me

Last edited:

Traznex

Nitro211 I watched tons of videos to decide wether I wanted quad or plane. Helios from what i understand are harder to fly and can be more expensive and extensive to repair.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Hello I am new to the forum
I want to take up flying rc but not sure what to start with helicopter, quadcopter or plane as I wanted a change from rc cars
I appreciate any help that someone can give me

I'd say it depends on your budget and your technical skills. You can get into planes much less expensively than quadcopters. If you only plan to fly Line of Sight (rather than FPV) I'd suggest a plane. I've flown both and a plane is just more fun because you can see what its doing at a much greater distance and it looks cool ripping across the sky. With all the FT designs and great community designs available for Swappable planes, you can buy one electronics package and power an entire fleet for almost no money (after the initial electronics purchase).

Let me know if that helps. I could go on, but I don't want to hog the thread.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot

I would definitly wait tell your frend can come.. He could talk you through flying and also if needed take the sticks. The more room the better for learning.

help & support

Hi Nitro211

i am not far away from you i live in kingston and have plenty of planes, helicopters, tricopters and quadcopters if you want to try some buddy boxing or some general help / setup?

Cheers

Neil

Crazy Goats

quads are nice because you don't need quite as large a flying space, but planes are more fun in my humble opinion. I think you can go "farther" into the hobby with one plane than with one quad though. you can start with just getting off the ground and coming back down in one piece, and graduate up to rolls, loops, and other basic tricks, and then put FPV on it (if its a stable plane) all on one plane. Whereas a small beginner quad is harder (in my opinion) to learn tricks on, And has to be upgraded to a big one when or if you want to go FPV. And with a plane, if your battery dies one hundred feet up, you glide in, whereas with a quad, you plummet to the ground and break, and possibly lose your investment.

Gryf

It's all up to your personal preferences whether you go planes or helis. For example, I started off with a heli that I bought from a friend second-hand, and after crashing and rebuilding it three times, expensively, I went with FT planes and haven't looked back. I much prefer fixed-wing anyway, but again, this is all up to what you want to do. I like planes because they fly by their very nature, like birds, and I really enjoy natural flight. It's hard to shut the motor off and soar with a helicopter. :)

As was stated above, you can get some really slick simulators free, or for a small expense. The biggest benefit with the sims, IMHO, is that you learn how to control a plane regardless of its orientation - that is, flying away from you, toward you, across in front of you, etc. You also learn what to expect at launch with throttle settings, trimming the controls, etc. Then you can transition directly to a simple FT plane like the Flyer, which is an excellent trainer, and very cheap and easy to build. Basically, sim crashes are free, and FT crashes are cheap. :) Then you work your way up from there. I started with an FT Old Fogey and beat it up pretty thoroughly at first - but by golly, it taught me to fly. I still have it. Meaning, learning to fly means crashing. A LOT. So starting off simple and cheap relieves a lot of the stress involved in learning.

Anyway, have a great time with the hobby!

Gryf

Last edited:

Diver9543

Hi Nitro211

i am not far away from you i live in kingston and have plenty of planes, helicopters, tricopters and quadcopters if you want to try some buddy boxing or some general help / setup?

Cheers

Neil
Now this is what is so great about our hobby. Flyers helping each other and sharing their knowledge.

Nitro211

image.jpeg This is what I am learning to fly in my videos

Rc boy

Hey I'm new to the hobby and I want to get into FPV quadcopter flying but I just watched a flitetest video saying FPV has been banned,is this true?and if it is why does the flitetest crew still fly FPV in there videos?please reply