New to hobby, FT Flyer question

R_Chin

I am new to the rc hobby and I am building the FT Flyer. I am just waiting on my hobby shop to get a motor in stock and then I will be off the ground. I brought the recommended list of electronics into my hobby shop and the owner recommended me a 2 cell 2000mah battery. My question is will the FT Flyer be able to handle that, or should I go with the recommended 500mah?

PhenomPilot

I run a 3s 1000 and it flies great with run times 10-15 min. Occasionally I will throw on a 3s2200 but it is too heavy to have much fun. A 2s 2000 would be lighter but still too heavy for the amount of power you are going to get. A 2s 500-800 would be great for slow flying and little crash damage. Just be sure to keep your built on light side. The flyer is a great plane. I have built 4 :)

R_Chin

Okay will do. Thanks. So besides being heavier the 2000mah will just give me tons more power correct?

mjmccarron

The 2000mah will give you longer run time but not any noticeably higher power output. The 3S 1000mah will actually deliver more power than the 2000mah 2S.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Okay will do. Thanks. So besides being heavier the 2000mah will just give me tons more power correct?

No it will not give you more power. The LiPo's voltage determines how much power you'll get (i.e. a 3s 14.4 Volts, delivers more power than a 2s 11.1 Volts). The mah will give you longer flight times (like having a larger fuel tank in a car).

PhenomPilot

It won't give much more power because it is the same voltage as the 2s500 but it will run longer and the voltage won't sag as much under load. Meaning that you will get a little more power but that is where c rating comes in. A high c rating allows for more load with less voltage sag.

R_Chin

So in theory I could pull off running the 200mah? I would just have to brace the plane well enough to prevent the wings from folding and what not. Also anyone have a recommendation for how to secure the battery better than the velcro and rubber band like in the build videos or is that sufficient enough? Thanks for so much help!

mjmccarron

I think you'll find that anything larger than a 1300mah 3S will add too much weight and the plane will have to fly much faster to have enough lift to fly. The Flyer is a great plane for slow flight and when equipped with a 3S 1000 it is a very lively performer too. Save the 2000 for something bigger and go lighter.

R_Chin

So just go with the 500-800mah range for the flyer and save the bigger for something maybe like a spitfire?

PhenomPilot

Agreed. 2s2000 is too heavy but a 2s200 too small. I think a 500 is on the small side but will allow for slow flying. The flyer is ok with 3s1500 but I would really suggest 3s1000 when you are ready for a little more power.

R_Chin

The 2s200 was a typo on my part. I think I will just go with a 3s1000. When you attach the battery do you just do how they do with the velcro on the bottom and the rubberband around it?

PhenomPilot

I only use Velcro. No rubber band. Haven't had one come off in flight yet.
Put the soft side on your batteries. When putting the other side on your plane, scuff up the packing tape a little with some light sandpaper, stick your Velcro on and run a bead of hot glue around it. The sticky side of the Velcro doesn't adhere to packing tape real well (my experience) but this method helps keep it from coming off when you remove the battery.
Or use a rubber band, which is probably enough.

PhenomPilot

You had me thinking about the 2s on the flyer so I gave it a try today and was pleasantly surprised. My 2s850 gave about 8-9 min flight time and the 2s370 about 6. It was 30degrees out but they were warm to start. I am running a 2210 hobbyking motor with 10x4.7 prop.

R_Chin

Thank you for the tip for securing the battery. The battery seems much more secure now. I still haven't gotten the 3s1000 battery and motor, but I am wanting to try the 2s2000 battery to see if it can get off of the ground. So when you built your flyer did you start with the 3s battery on it?

PhenomPilot

I did but after flying the today, 2s is he way to go until you get used to flying. 3s is good for good for unlimited vertical, faster flying and light aerobatics. (Also more damage when you crash)

R_Chin

Okay. Do you think it would be able to do a little aerobatic off of the 2s? Thanks for all the advice by the way.

PhenomPilot

I was able to do some loops and hovering but it wouldn't climb vertical for long. Most of the flying was just cruising around my backyard at half throttle.