Newbie looking for advice. I am stuck with an edf and do not know which plane to build.

akimbo

I made the mistake of purchasing an edf instead of a prop to build my first plane. I have made several planes using a 50 mm edf, most of them lack a proper airfoil and are quite fragile. I got lucky with my first flight but I soon realized that having a highspeed plane is not very ideal. Does any one know of a plane that can perform better at low speeds and uses a 50mm edf? I have found some planes that would be suitable but they do not have any plans. I'm sure someone will tell me to search the forums and the flite test page but, I promise you that is exactly what I have been doing.

speedy7385

Try this plan for the 50mm.

akimbo

the grunjet was a lil too fast for me, do you know of anything that has an airfoil shaped wing?

speedy7385

Have you check out the L-39...50mm edf also with airfoil.

The Fopster

Master member
I think you may be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. EDF planes are fast - that’s just how EDFs work (creating thrust from a small cross sectional area of air moving fast, where a prop moves a bigger area more slowly to create thrust). It will always be a challenge for a first plane so you will need some determination. I’m not sure changing the wing shape will give you what you’re looking for. I’ve never flown a grunjet but it has a good reputation - are you flying at high throttle? Maybe persevere with that model but try slowing down and see if it’s stable enough at low speed for you to keep up with it better?

akimbo

I think you may be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. EDF planes are fast - that’s just how EDFs work (creating thrust from a small cross sectional area of air moving fast, where a prop moves a bigger area more slowly to create thrust). It will always be a challenge for a first plane so you will need some determination. I’m not sure changing the wing shape will give you what you’re looking for. I’ve never flown a grunjet but it has a good reputation - are you flying at high throttle? Maybe persevere with that model but try slowing down and see if it’s stable enough at low speed for you to keep up with it better?
The grunjet was pretty good but the wing was not very durable and in the few times I flew it the front half of the plane broke off when I “landed”. Currently I am building a trainer style plane that should be more stable and easier to fly at low speeds. It is my own design so I am not sure if it will fly. I might post some updates tomorrow.

Attachments

• 99B37A61-873D-473B-85BD-BE6CA6E853E3.jpeg
    99B37A61-873D-473B-85BD-BE6CA6E853E3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Timmy

Legendary member
I haven't built this design but it seems to be an easy first jet to fly
Its basically a Tiny Trainer with an EDF

danskis

Master member
I watched your video again. Here are some thoughts. The foldover KF Grunjet wing is pretty durable. I've built the wing but not the plane. Its going to be difficult to get a more durable wing. For your first flights you did really well - why don't you repair it and see how slow you can go. Immediately after launch and getting some altitude throttle it back - go slow. A bigger field would help too. Paint one or both wing tip red on top of the wing to help orientation. Paint the tail red too. If you're a beginner pilot learning on your own this is how it goes - build, crash, repair repeat. Don't get too attached to your latest build. If you can find an experienced pilot to help you trim that plane that would help a lot. Stay on the simulator as it looks like it helped a lot.

akimbo

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I think I might go back to the grunjet eventually but, for now I am going to try to fly this plane until it breaks.

Attachments

• 049BB185-21E4-4B19-AD51-DC65AA635FB6.jpeg
    049BB185-21E4-4B19-AD51-DC65AA635FB6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • B9BB7BC4-196E-47F5-90EB-4A09DDD4001C.jpeg
    B9BB7BC4-196E-47F5-90EB-4A09DDD4001C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0