Help! Newbie: on a budget and wanting to fly

Tar-Face

Hello guys, I'm a high schooler that absolutely loves science and aviation. I know I can't fly a real airplane right now and RC is the closest I can get to that. FliteTest has inspired desire to fly and I like the idea of the FT arrow. It looks to me like it would be a good beginner plane (but I wouldn't know) and i would like to know if it is. I'm trying to get an airplane up in the air for about $100 or less. Like I said, I'm young and on a budget and I would like to see if the setup I'm looking at would be a good choice. I personally like longer flights (I've flown a few quadcopters) and I want to try a 1600mah battery. The transmitter I want to use is the Flysky FS-i6x and the receiver that comes with it. I am also looking at a 2200kv motor that comes with a 30a ESC. All of the actual building materials like the foam board is already covered. I also have some 9g servos that I think will work. I have some props that I think will fit the motor, but I can find those if this whole project is even feasible. Please check the links below to see if the configuration would work.

Transmitter/receiver: $53.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744DPPL8/?tag=lstir-20

Battery: $26.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LL8C3LV/?tag=lstir-20

Motor/ESC: $16.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRCY23X/?tag=lstir-20

Total= $97.97

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
  1. I wouldn't start with the Arrow, but one of the planes I have listed below in the 'recommended starter' list, my experiance with the arrow, was that it was hard to get the CG just right and it was a more challenging flight then the Tiny Trainer (I haven't flown the other 2, but they have similar looking characteristics to it, just bigger)
  2. I have a 'getting started as cheep as possible' link in my signature, that comes in around $200, but there are a few bits you could change out to save some money here and there
  3. That TX/RX looks ok for getting started
  4. battery - those chargers don't look like anything I would want to rely on. not sure on the brand of battery
  5. the motor/ESC combo - looks a bit on the cheep side, maybe someone else can comment if they have had something similar, it looks to be slightly... it is sized similar to a B pack motor (slightly bigger then an F pack motor), but has a kv about 2x that of the b-pack.
Assuming you have sufficient servos/etc, you might be able to get going with that supply list. Given the motor and battery size, you probably want to start with something like the FT Simple Scout or the FT Explorer. You can get the plans to cut them out yourself here.

However, that motor isn't exactly what is being asked for for the packs listed, so I don't know if it will work. Given the higher KV of your motor, the 2s battery is likely ok to the 3s recommend on the build pages.

What I would really suggest doing is looking at the recommended parts for one of the above 2 planes, or the Tiny Trainer and getting comparable parts (A pack for the Tiny trainer or B pack for the other 2).

Tar-Face

Thanks for the reply, and I'm kinda in the same situation as the guy in that link, but I live in an area where we get fairly strong winds and I was thinking that I would need a strong motor to pull through it, or I could just wait for calm days to fly. Since There are such strong winds, and the arrow is like a beginner's racing wing, I thought that it would be a good choice and I only have 2 servos. That is why I thought it would be a great beginner plane for my situation. I also didn't want to have to build a new plane for when I wanted to fly faster because I am short on funds to pay for more equipment. I do understand that the battery is a bit big and I thought it would lead to a longer flight time, but I will look into smaller ones.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the arrow with a 2205 is pretty quick. may try and start with a 1806 and then move up. the arrow is an easy build, especially if you have a 3D printer and can print the center pod. i have lost count of how many i have built and crashed at this point. it is probably my favorite FT model out of all of them. i don't think your 1600 mah battery will work, it will be too heavy and probably to big to fit into the pod without mods. i always use a 3S-850 on mine and can get 4 mins of flight so long as i am not hammering it.

the 2212 motor you have listed is also too big, you need to look for a 2205 or smaller.

the transmitter and rx you have listed will work fine. the interface with it is ancient and kind of a pain to use compared to nicer TX's like Spektrum but it will do everything you need.

good luck

me :cool:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Hello guys, I'm a high schooler that absolutely loves science and aviation. I know I can't fly a real airplane right now and RC is the closest I can get to that. FliteTest has inspired desire to fly and I like the idea of the FT arrow. It looks to me like it would be a good beginner plane (but I wouldn't know) and i would like to know if it is. I'm trying to get an airplane up in the air for about $100 or less. Like I said, I'm young and on a budget and I would like to see if the setup I'm looking at would be a good choice. I personally like longer flights (I've flown a few quadcopters) and I want to try a 1600mah battery. The transmitter I want to use is the Flysky FS-i6x and the receiver that comes with it. I am also looking at a 2200kv motor that comes with a 30a ESC. All of the actual building materials like the foam board is already covered. I also have some 9g servos that I think will work. I have some props that I think will fit the motor, but I can find those if this whole project is even feasible. Please check the links below to see if the configuration would work.

Transmitter/receiver: $53.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744DPPL8/?tag=lstir-20

Battery: $26.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LL8C3LV/?tag=lstir-20

Motor/ESC: $16.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRCY23X/?tag=lstir-20

Total= $97.97
The only problem I see is that the gear you listed is not suitable for the plane you want to build, I would recommend starting with the simple cub, that motor is perfect for that plane, I primarily use that motor in all of my swappable planes and have never had an issue with any of them, plenty of power. and bump the battery up to a 2200 Mah. The up side of starting with this plane is that it is a simple build, easy to fly, can be built as a three channel so you only need two servos and you can upgrade to four channel down the road as your skills get better. And you will have a power pod all ready to go into the next swappable build of your choice, of which there are many to choose from

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Simple Cub is what I would suggest as well. Lot easier to fly with the motor you're looking at. Wings like the Arrow or Versa Wing are not something I'd suggest for a first time pilot; get them up in the air and have them inverted, and it quickly becomes difficult to tell top from bottom. With something like a Simple Cub, it's easier to tell because of the wheels and shape of the tail. Plus, wings are trickier to launch, especially if set up in a pusher configuration - you're likely to have a bad launch if you're trying to launch and control it on a maiden flight, and bad launches with pushers can be dangerous. I speak from experience; I've been hit in the head with a Versa wing launch that went badly, and fortunately had no injuries.

I also like the Bushwacker as an easy plane to fly, especially with the motor and ESC you're looking at. However, that one truly is a 4 channel plane, with ailerons, rudder, elevator, and throttle...if you don't have enough servos for it, I can understand not wanting to build it.

Tar-Face

Okay, as a kid I went to a few robotics activities and made some robots. I found one that has a lot of servos that I took apart just now and I now have plenty of servos. I do have access to a 3d printer, a laser cutter, and a CNC machine. I guess the arrow might not be my first airplane like I thought it would be but to get up in the air I'm willing to compromise. And it sounded like Ratcheteeroo has used the motors I'm looking at. Were you saying the kv rating or the same model? someone else has said it looks sketchy, but if it's been used its one of the cheaper ones out there.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Okay, as a kid I went to a few robotics activities and made some robots. I found one that has a lot of servos that I took apart just now and I now have plenty of servos. I do have access to a 3d printer, a laser cutter, and a CNC machine. I guess the arrow might not be my first airplane like I thought it would be but to get up in the air I'm willing to compromise. And it sounded like Ratcheteeroo has used the motors I'm looking at. Were you saying the kv rating or the same model? someone else has said it looks sketchy, but if it's been used its one of the cheaper ones out there.
same kv rating and model on two of my planes, bought the exact same thing. you will need bigger props though, I'm running 8x6 on mine and the ones in that setup you are buying are 7 inch i believe

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
same kv rating and model on two of my planes, bought the exact same thing. you will need bigger props though, I'm running 8x6 on mine and the ones in that setup you are buying are 7 inch i believe
Here it is

IMG_20210625_222236083.jpg
IMG_20210625_222217196.jpg

Tar-Face

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I don't feel as worried about buying this motor. Now I'm just trying to find the right battery for the setup and which plane I want to try.

Tar-Face

Okay, thanks. And is there a specific trainer that you would recommend if I want my next plane to be the arrow after I learn the basics, or are any of the trainers going to be fine?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Okay, thanks. And is there a specific trainer that you would recommend if I want my next plane to be the arrow after I learn the basics, or are any of the trainers going to be fine?
tiny trainer, cub, scout anyone of these will work.....................

bisco

Elite member
tiny trainer is a good trainer with the polyhedral wing. wind is a problem, especially for beginners. try flying as early or late in the day as possible.