Prop nuts

hotwire750

I picked up some inexpensive motors and I'm questioning the way that they are labeled. Motors linked below.

JMT Mini Multi-Rotor 1806 2400KV CW CCW Brushless Motor for DIY 2-3S 250 Mini Drone FPV CC3D 260 330 RC Quadcopter (2CW+2CCW+4ESC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NPCFZ1Z/?tag=lstir-20

The description says that CW motors have a silver prop nut and CCW has black prop nut. With the motor in hand (black nut) it has a left had thread... lefty tighty... so if I hold the nut facing me and spin the motor CCW, it will come off. I guess my question is should a CCW motor have a right or left hand thread?

Last edited:

hotwire750

Reading the thread below, it says:
The silver prop nut version is the CCW, which is what most of us use for fixed wing planes. The black prop nut is a CW version​
This is the opposite of what the description for the motors on Amazon says... just makes it confusing to us noobies. I might have to go with my gut on this and just see what happens.

Thread 'Experiment with twin motors on a Tiny trainer.' https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/experiment-with-twin-motors-on-a-tiny-trainer.68756/

Piotrsko

Master member
Hint: they wont work on the wrong the thread direction. Trust me on this......

49 is 0.049 cubic inch displacement, a standard in old man fuel powered aircraft from the last century. Makes about 1/3 hp at insane rpm, two stroke using a valve to pressurize the crankcase, lube the rotating parts and pump fuel to the cylinder. Most hair raising fun you will have for about 3 minutes and if you can build a B17, keep all 4 running until it takes off, I will be suitably impressed

Amazon only tells you things that enhance their sales. Everything else is very suspect.

JDSnavely

FYI- I decided to use medium thread lock on an F-type motor so the nut wouldn't come loose since it had left hand thread. After I broke the prop, I broke the shaft trying to get the spinner-shaped nut off. I would have been better not using the thread lock and just taken my chances!

hotwire750

FYI- I decided to use medium thread lock on an F-type motor so the nut wouldn't come loose since it had left hand thread. After I broke the prop, I broke the shaft trying to get the spinner-shaped nut off. I would have been better not using the thread lock and just taken my chances!
Thanks for the heads up... thats a bummer about your broken motor shaft

hotwire750

Hint: they wont work on the wrong the thread direction. Trust me on this......

49 is 0.049 cubic inch displacement, a standard in old man fuel powered aircraft from the last century. Makes about 1/3 hp at insane rpm, two stroke using a valve to pressurize the crankcase, lube the rotating parts and pump fuel to the cylinder. Most hair raising fun you will have for about 3 minutes and if you can build a B17, keep all 4 running until it takes off, I will be suitably impressed

Amazon only tells you things that enhance their sales. Everything else is very suspect.
ahh... that makes more sense. I was picturing something like a weed-wacker engine on an 8-12' monster plane.

randyrls

Randy
This is an interesting thread. I just finished a Bronco Twin and noticed the 2 motors had the same direction shaft thread. I really want to use counter rotation, and noticed that the twin kit had 2 CW and 2 CCW props so figured that they were intended to work this way.

The prop lock nuts would not thread far enough onto the motor shafts to grip the prop. My first attempt at a flight was SHORT! (but little damage) when the prop loosened on ONE SIDE! I drilled out the nylon part and the prop. I then put loctite on the prop nut. Tomorrow I will try out at the field. Wish me luck!

churchjw

I have a FT bronco, both motors are standard (same threads), set them up counter rotating. Use locknuts as per Flite test ( inquired via email to them). About 3-4 flights. No problems so far. Will be checking for loosening before next flight. Flies great. Love it.

randyrls

Randy
Thanks. It was an experiment and not an expensive motor. But I was surprised that medium thread lock held so tight.
I have loosened blue loctite with a soldering iron to heat the nut. Red loctite is permanent! A heat gun might work too.

Piotrsko

Master member
Heat gun only if you don't care about the props melting or possibly cooking the motor.

Red does other bad things to our stuff. Terrible, terrible things. Might as well use isocyonate glues to just glue the prop on.

Tench745

Master member
I picked up some inexpensive motors and I'm questioning the way that they are labeled. Motors linked below.

JMT Mini Multi-Rotor 1806 2400KV CW CCW Brushless Motor for DIY 2-3S 250 Mini Drone FPV CC3D 260 330 RC Quadcopter (2CW+2CCW+4ESC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NPCFZ1Z/?tag=lstir-20

The description says that CW motors have a silver prop nut and CCW has black prop nut. With the motor in hand (black nut) it has a left had thread... lefty tighty... so if I hold the nut facing me and spin the motor CCW, it will come off. I guess my question is should a CCW motor have a right or left hand thread?
If I'm reading this correctly, their labling is correct. Tradionally, motor rotation is from the point of view of the pilot sitting behind the spinning prop.