Newby first build first RC flight…No one hurt…Chickens are still in the coop.

fishcranium

I grew up flying model airplanes with my father. These are still some of my fondest memories over 3 decades ago. We would spend all winter building balsa and canvas planes and then promptly crash them each spring. We did not have RC equipment at the time so these were all U-control.

I am a relatively recent father of twins and decided that I too would like to eventually share these memories with my children. So I did what everyone does now…I went on YouTube (Flight test is still a favorite).

Things have changed considerably with regards to model airplanes. Technologies have improved and cost has gone way down. I now own all of the cool gadgets and gizmos for RC planes and eagerly awaiting the time when I can successfully use them.

I finished the Flight Test nutball and had countless maiden flights today. Yes you can have several if you put it into a fence or tumble weed before you before you create controlled lift.

Here are some observations:

• Dollar tree foam board Nutballs are tough when built with some of the techniques from Flight Test and experimental airlines (YouTube). They can withstand crashes into chicken wire, fence posts, rain gutters, barbed wire, and chickens.

• It is inappropriate to calculate the probabilities of an event after it happened. However, the nutball, with little direction and no intent, will fit through the door of the chicken coop.

• Chickens hate RC aircraft.

• I wished I had taped it chicken-poop brown instead of red and yellow

• Prop savers work

• Propellers hurt

• Too much throw creates uncontrollable flight when you have no talent

• Goats also hate RC aircraft

• Landing gear is overrated

• I am not an RC aircraft pilot.

I had a delightful time, the plane is still in fine shape, I plan on going out later this week to learn how to fly it for longer than 15 seconds.

nutball.JPG

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it and all the facts I had no idea were available such as chickens being scared of planes...maybe they are jealous of the flight aspect...

Welcome to the forum!

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
15 sec. now that is what I call a long flight. Lift off then crash now that is normal, then head home to fix it. Maybe I need to find a chicken farm so my planes will run scared.

timbarnes

Great story! I think the nutball is not an easy plane to learn on - especially if there's any wind. My first plane was the FT Flyer - took me a few flights to get comfortable. A couple of weeks later I launched the nutball - a whole new learning curve! But it's fun once you get the hang of it. I'm just moving on to the FT Delta...one hard crash last weekend, fixed with an old credit card and some glue.

I've found that it really helps to have a more experienced pilot get the plane up in the air the first time to make sure it's set up right. Once the throws and trims are set up, you'll have a much easier time of it.

This is fun - and it's a really good idea to learn on cheap replaceable fixable crashable foamies like this.

I just hope the livestock isn't too traumatized...

tim

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FishCranium,

You *are* an RC pilot . . . not a very good one, but that applies to most of us here ;)

If you have the gall to attach a propeller to a motor, wing and servos, then launch it into the air, it doens't matter how fast you might manuver the plane into the chicken coop (really?!? and no video?!?) you sir, have become a pilot! You have earned the right to laugh at gravity . . . before she reminds you how persistant she can be.

Keep on enjoying the nutball, but if you've got a couple of spare servos, you might want to slap together an FT flyer and try that one on your next battery pack. The Flyer is not quite the handfull the nutball can be -- no sense fighting the new-ness of the controls while you're fighting a squirrley airframe.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

fishcranium

Thank you for all of your comments, support and suggestions. I have a bucket full of 9 g servos and a pretty good stash of spare parts.

I am lacking a more motors (any suggestion of those similar). LazerToyz Blue Wonder 24g [2712-12] are backordered and given my new understanding of stained and controlled flight combined with a propensity to make short but extremely violent landings, I suspect that I will be needing another spare or two.

I plan on making a FT flier soon but to be completely honest I am enjoying the chaos with the plane that I have. I hope that I am not being watched by others because giggling like a school girl is only occasionally replaced by what can only be described as a fast metronome that sounds out obscenities in quick patterns.

Last edited:

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I don't think you will have much trouble with the motors themselves. At the most I have had bent shafts, which are easily replaced. The motors unless you run them full of mud and rocks can last a life time. There are even videos on how to re rap a motor if it goes out "or make them stronger". You could maybe have bearings replacements. I guess what I’m trying to say is, motors are simple compared to ESCs. You might want a spare ESC around. If those give up you’ll need to have a electronics degree to fix it, LOL.