Next step up

GeraldNL

Hi Guys,

Gerald here from The Netherlands, I have a question about my next build.
I have been flying(crashing) and building (repairing) my own planes last 1/2 year's.
My path so far Nutball -> Ft flyer -> Ft Delta. I am also flying 4 channel planes on phoenix RC to learn inverted flight.

My problem now is that I do not really know what is the next step. I would like to leave the swappable power pods planes behind an start to build/fly something like the Ft explorer or the FT Spear. I would love to hear your opinion about pro/cons from these planes as a next step or compared to each other. I have to pick one as I now only have time to build one plane.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Gerald

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hi Gerald,
Thank you for giving us a little info on yourself. I often see the Tiny Trainer and the FT Explorer suggested as good aircraft to learn on. Personally I've never yet flown a Tiny Trainer but did learn on one very similar to the Explorer. I think it would be a good candidate for you that is failry forgiving for those mistakes that do happen.

Considering you already have experience with actual RC flight I think your options are fairly open. If you decide on a flying wing, be sure to dial in some softened rates and/or expo as flying wings can be especially overreative, mostly with pitch control.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

jack10525

You sound like you have the basics down. Now I just think you need to try larger planes. The tiny trainer is a great little plane to learn 4 channel on. It's a little small so balance and cg needs to be on point or it can be a handful. It also doesn't like wind too much due to the small size. For larger planes you could try the Simple Stork or the Explorer. Both are great slow flyers that just seem to soar with little help. They also handle wind a little better since they are quite a bit larger. If you want a real simple build and easy flying you could build a bloody baron. They are a blast.

GeraldNL

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses.

I just checked the other planes mentioned all seem to have props in the front. What I liked about wing and the explorer is that the prop is behind the plane. As the prop is the only part I cant self repair and it always seems to break first. Is it a very different flight experience between a pusher and a normal plane? I guess full power with a pusher will not result in the plane pulling up?

@Jim Thanks for the tip. I already found out with the ft flyer that I over controlled the plane. Here after I learned about expo and rates. If I chose I wing should I just go with soft rates in general or make a switch for starting/landing?

@Jack I checked out the tiny trainer seems like a nice and simple plane. But isn't it better to step away from Dihedral wings?

Sadly we have a lot of wind in The Netherlands, I found this out with the FT flyer. On calm days it was the nicest plane I have flown so far but on most days it is horrible. When flying the wind will roll it around from side to side.

And thanks for welcoming me to the forum:)

Gerald

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
@Jim Thanks for the tip. I already found out with the ft flyer that I over controlled the plane. Here after I learned about expo and rates. If I chose I wing should I just go with soft rates in general or make a switch for starting/landing?
On my wing I have a 3 position switch set up for Throttle Cut, Low Rates (~50%), and High Rates (~70%). Even on low rates I can roll and loop well. Even when I progress into higher rates I keep lower rates on a switch for the option of passing the tx to someone less familiar.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sadly FT does not have a great selection of entry level "Tailless" pusher designs especially those using the more solid and robust KFM profile wings.

From the number of FB designs I have built and flown in almost all weather I find that the heavier KFM wing tailless pushers are the least effected by strong wind though they do tend to fly slightly faster and do not "FLOAT" upon landing.

Perhaps the FT crew might investigate such designs, or even adopt a design or 2 from someone who can comply with their requirements for documentation.

What ever you build next do not build small and light as they do not handle high wind very well.

Have fun!

GeraldNL

Hi guys so I have build the FT spear.

I am now wondering what electronics and prop I should get. The power pack C stuff is not available in the Eu. Someone got som good alternatives. Pref from holy king or another company with low shipping kost to the Netherlands. The plane is 634grams without electronics.

Gear I have available from older planes:
bat: turnagy 1.6 1600 mah. 20/30c 7.4v
Motor: A2208/12t 1800 KV
Esc: RCP-50061 Brushles 20A
prop Ep-8040
prop app 7 x 4

Hope to hear from you soon.

rabe

Sadly FT does not have a great selection of entry level "Tailless" pusher designs especially those using the more solid and robust KFM profile wings.

From the number of FB designs I have built and flown in almost all weather I find that the heavier KFM wing tailless pushers are the least effected by strong wind though they do tend to fly slightly faster and do not "FLOAT" upon landing.

Perhaps the FT crew might investigate such designs, or even adopt a design or 2 from someone who can comply with their requirements for documentation.

What ever you build next do not build small and light as they do not handle high wind very well.

Have fun!

i'd love to see a kit for something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0E9tUUNQe4