Not a good day at the "office"

notreallyme

Got out to the field today to run some batteries, probably should have stayed home today.

First battery wanted to get in some time with the Radian, got everything hooked up and the radio was not controlling anything DUH forgot to turn the radio on before plugging in the plane. was flying around and the wind was just not making flying fun i could not get it turn when i wanted and was losing a lot of altitude on down wind runs, decided to come i for a landing was coming in all nice the wind pushed me over into a plane eating tree i caught just enough of it to stop my forward flight and dropped straight down on the nose from about 20ft. it shifted the nose cone ejected the battery with the battery hold down still attached and a couple of dings in the wings. very fixable but not at the field. done with that 1 for the day.

Second battery goes into the storch, take off and i can't seem to get it to fly straight it was always trying to turn right i flew through it without to much issue but it was making me mad the flight went ok until i was coming in for a landing and the wind pushed me towards that same freaking tree i caught it quick enough to stay out of the tree but because i had flaps down to slow the landing the quick movement got me into a stall that i had no room to get out of gravity got me again straight down on the nose this one ripped up some stuff the power pod pushed back and made slots about 1/2 inch long the nose pushed back separating the windshield piece completely, the front skewer to hold on the wing was ripped out the front and GONE the rear skewer again made a slot about 1/2 inch long. i'm sure the pod has slots as well but have not pulled it out yet to check.

After the first 2 batteries were so eventful and caused 2 repair/rebuild jobs i decided today was not my day and left the 250 quad in the case and call it a day.

That was a hungry tree today, think i will make cross wind landings to stay away from that tree from now on.

Add in a stripped elevator servo for the Radian

Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
oh damn, I was hoping there was no real damage.

I was with NRM and had a good flight with the P-51, a good flight with the Delta Ray but there were a few times I didn't feel like I was flying well. I had an enjoyable flight with the Pitts including a really couple of very nice landings. I went for one final flight and I tried inverted for the umpteenth time. I lost orientation and went to recover but the plane switched direction and ended up in a tree. I was surprised to find the landing gear torn off an a re-torn wing when I got it down. The glue is drying right now. It was windy but the skies were beautiful.

NRM did some good flying with the Storch, doing some a lot of inverted flying and some other tricks. It is quite impressive watching a plane that size. He also had a nice long cruise out of the Radian. That plane is also impressive in the air and a mom brought her son over to watch us and look at our planes.

I actually did have to work today so this was a much needed break even with the crappy results.

Last edited:

HarleyRev

yea man I have had days like that too. Just wanted to go out and have a few relaxing flights, then everything goes wrong.....

Its like that with everything we do in life I suppose. So I try to learn to cherish the moments when everything goes right and not dwell on the other. Learn from the bad days, make the repairs, and then try it again. Nothing is easy.

Take care