Not a WWII Fighter...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
...but inspired by the spirit of one.

i humbly introduce my AVG Tiger 2.0, Mark 1.

20170820_151408.jpg

a little back story. i am a teacher and last year taught not only all my students but myself how to fly and build. i am an ex-dirt bike/rally/enduro racer and after a bad crash lost a lot of my ability to maintain that kind of activity. i stumbled upon a FT video of the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie triple pack and was sold. this is my new go fast, tinker, build, crash thing to fill the void.

that was back in february. since then i have built, flown, crashed, more airplanes than i can count. i think i'm getting pretty good but still got a lot to learn based upon some of the amazing work i see here.

so, back to the build;

start of a new year and a student of mine says he wants to build a new plane. i of course say yes! i sit him down in front of a computer. after awhile of looking at multiple sites he says, "na, i want to design one of my own." BINGO! then he says, "i think we both should design and build one of our own, then fly them together."

:D was my response.

Tiger 2.0 is my answer to his challenge. i wanted to do something completely diff from what i had done in the past. not only to challenge myself, but to show my student that even if you fail, you can still learn from it. i hope to make a twin post about his build once his is finished.

so me being my usual confident self went to work, did CG calcs, motor and ESC matching, all the footwork. then started building. i was so tickled by my speed, style, and progress i neglected the golden rule. CG is everything, and don't forget that...

i built an overly larger power pod, stuck the motor way too far back, and mounted the servos behind the CG.

with all that said, here she is...

20170820_151424.jpg

20170820_151452.jpg

20170820_151504.jpg

currently using a Emax 2205-2300kv, HQ5x4x3 prop, 20A BLheli ESC, 3S-850mah, 2- 9g servos. current weight, all in is 380g.

maidened yesterday and it was very pitch sensitive. i had to add a ton of nose weight to get it to balance and i figured i had done to much. i removed some weight and threw it back in the air and it was better but still a hand full. so long as you were at 1/2 throttle or under it was manageable but anything more required lot's of elevator control. the consensus from the crowd was it need thrust angle. i took it home, added a 1mm shim under motor and tried again today. it flew much better but now seemed tail heavy. i added the weight back that i had removed, and the 4th flight was pretty good. the thing lands almost vertical it is so slow.

i already have made changes to the plans and will rebuild one hopefully next week with the changes. should be @ or under 300g. once i have it nailed down i will post the design for anyone interested.

thanks for looking and for all i have learned from watching and reading all of your amazing work.

laters,

jason ;)

Namactual

Elite member
That's great!
I love hearing stories like this. I tired to get my nephews into stuff like this all of the time, they are just not interested unless it's an app of some kind.

The tiger looks good. I hear ya on the CG, I did the exact same thing on my F-35. The maiden was interesting to say the least. :)

One more thing you might consider as I look at your aircraft would be the control rods. It might not be an issue with your build as light as it is, but those have the potential for a LOT of flex. This could also cause the pitch issues at high speed. I never use those tiny wires for anything anymore.

Anyway, looks good man. keep up the good work!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the wire is thicker than you think, by this point i had figured the error of my ways and was trying to lighten as much as possible. the wire was less weight than using thinner wire that needed support. the next design will have servos on the side directly on CG and will use coffee straws as guides/supports running down the side. i also will be improving the airfoil. that was an afterthought in an attempt to bring the CG forward. the next one will be made to fit and provide hopefully better handling.

laters,

jason ;)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so after flying it several times i have it almost completely stable. still requires constant elevator input but i think that is once again due to the extra weight i had to add for a proper CG. i have multiple builds on the plate right now so it may be a little before i get back to this one but when i do, i think it's gonna be a very cool flyer.

laters,

jason ;)