OpenTx and Safe Select

Eath

Hello brothers and sisters of flight,

After having first war bird successes with the 1.1 FT Spitfire I plunged into the pool of already build scale warbirds with the recently released 1.1 T28 Trojan from Horizon. Was able to set up all standard functions without issues in Open TX; everything but Safe Select. If I assign channel 5 to a switch it does.. nothing. Is there a person out there that knows how to set Safe Select up in OpenTx (in my case I am using a Jumper T12)?

Much obliged,
Eath :)

Corsair714

After having first war bird successes with the 1.1 FT Spitfire I plunged into the pool of already build scale warbirds with the recently released 1.1 T28 Trojan from Horizon. Was able to set up all standard functions without issues in Open TX; everything but Safe Select. If I assign channel 5 to a switch it does.. nothing. Is there a person out there that knows how to set Safe Select up in OpenTx (in my case I am using a Jumper T12)?

Much obliged,
I think safe needs to be set up on a momentary switch or button. I haven't tried myself so idk.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I think safe needs to be set up on a momentary switch or button. I haven't tried myself so idk.

SAFE Select should be able to be set on a 2 way switch; that's how it's done with the Spektrum radios. Momentary switch/button is usually used for trainers or maybe a launch function for DLGs/HLGs.

Corsair714

SAFE Select should be able to be set on a 2 way switch; that's how it's done with the Spektrum radios. Momentary switch/button is usually used for trainers or maybe a launch function for DLGs/HLGs.
Oh ok I've set it up on a button always cause that's what that manual said to do. It's worked on all three of my spektrum transmitters.

Corsair714

I meant I hadn't tried it on anything else so I wouldn't know if not putting it on a button would cause a problem. And momentary switches and buttons are pretty much the same thing.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I meant I hadn't tried it on anything else so I wouldn't know if not putting it on a button would cause a problem. And momentary switches and buttons are pretty much the same thing.

Right - you press the button, it goes on, when you release the button, it goes to off. On is position 1, off is position 0 - so if you push the button, SAFE is only on as long as you're holding the button in. Release it, and it goes off.

Eath

Alright guys thank you for your replies but can we come back to the question please. I was not asking about momentary switches - which would not make sense in this case anyway - or was asking anything about a Spektrum Tx. Anyone out there that knows how to set up Safe Select in Open Tx? Anyone able to pull that off on their Taranis or Jumper Tx?

whackflyer

Master member
Alright guys thank you for your replies but can we come back to the question please. I was not asking about momentary switches - which would not make sense in this case anyway - or was asking anything about a Spektrum Tx. Anyone out there that knows how to set up Safe Select in Open Tx? Anyone able to pull that off on their Taranis or Jumper Tx?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3094362-Safe-Select-assignment-to-a-switch
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/opentx-and-spektrum-rx.64858/

Eath

Simple switch assignation - like in the video - doesnt work. I tried the steps of this video before posting here and now have tried it again after reading this to be sure.. I was setting up the tiny UMX Trojan one year ago with Safe and Panic like in the video and that worked fine. It doesnt work with the big Trojan with Safe Select.

It seems some of you are confusing Safe, Safe Select, and Panic Recovery. With Horizon "Safe" is a three channel function with beginner, intermediate, and no support mode. "Panic Mode" needs a momentary switch wich can be pressed when the plane gets out of control. "Safe" and "Panic" are usually only available on starter planes like the UMX Sport Cub, der UMX Trojan or the Carbon Cub. "Safe Select", on the other hand, is usually on board on all bigger scale birds from Horizon, is the same as the the intermediate mode of "Safe" and basically has no other function than helping to land during sub-optimal landing conditions such as sudden strong winds etc.

KRAR

Simple switch assignation - like in the video - doesnt work. I tried the steps of this video before posting here and now have tried it again after reading this to be sure.. I was setting up the tiny UMX Trojan one year ago with Safe and Panic like in the video and that worked fine. It doesnt work with the big Trojan with Safe Select.

It seems some of you are confusing Safe, Safe Select, and Panic Recovery. With Horizon "Safe" is a three channel function with beginner, intermediate, and no support mode. "Panic Mode" needs a momentary switch wich can be pressed when the plane gets out of control. "Safe" and "Panic" are usually only available on starter planes like the UMX Sport Cub, der UMX Trojan or the Carbon Cub. "Safe Select", on the other hand, is usually on board on all bigger scale birds from Horizon, is the same as the the intermediate mode of "Safe" and basically has no other function than helping to land during sub-optimal landing conditions such as sudden strong winds etc.

Did you complete the bind procedure correctly? I always miss this
FOR SAFE: But in bind plug, Plug in/trun on RC aircraft, not pull out bind plug.
Then bind transmitter to plane.

If you do not follow those step Safe select will not be active in the rx

jangodog

Don’ think you can use safe select or as3x on radios other then Spektrum. Gyros on the other hand is possiblebon all tx’es:)

Bricks

Master member
Don’ think you can use safe select or as3x on radios other then Spektrum. Gyros on the other hand is possiblebon all tx’es:)

This is not true many have done so as shown in the above video, but I have not tried to set up Safe on my RadioMaster TX 16s yet simple on my DX9, I may have to dig into this and give it a go.

Eath

It is definitely possible. I have other planes from Horizon and both Safe and Panic Recovery could be made functional with my Jumper T12. Just this 1.1 Trojan doesn't seem to want to work. I have given up by now. Still a pretty awesome plane even without safe working..

Rcanada

Much obliged,
Hey I am having the same issue I have jumper t18 pro open tx I have done the bind but safe not working did you happen to figure this out . Much appreciated if you can help me thankypu much appreciated

Rcanada

Much obliged,

plilient

I am also not able to assign a switch to SAFE Select on my Radiomaster TX16S. If I do the routine of moving the sticks to the inside (or outside depending on how they are configured) corner and flipping a switch 5 times, the plane will switch from SAFE to AS3X and back if I do it again. But the switch won't work to do that. Only this initialization routine does it. In other words, I can't do it while flying, which is the whole point. I feel like I made a little bit of progress, but not enough to be useful. It would really help if someone knew how to do this so I don't have to go out and buy a whole new radio.

Darksabre

I am also not able to assign a switch to SAFE Select on my Radiomaster TX16S. If I do the routine of moving the sticks to the inside (or outside depending on how they are configured) corner and flipping a switch 5 times, the plane will switch from SAFE to AS3X and back if I do it again. But the switch won't work to do that. Only this initialization routine does it. In other words, I can't do it while flying, which is the whole point. I feel like I made a little bit of progress, but not enough to be useful. It would really help if someone knew how to do this so I don't have to go out and buy a whole new radio.
Mine does the same exact thing on my Taranis Plus. Frustrating!

Bricks

Master member
Here you go . The vid from Graysons is a jumper radio so do not get confused as the RadioMaster is internal module.

Last edited:

Eath

Couldnt get it working so far... I used the Graysons video long ago for my first plane which was the Horizon UMX Trojan. Here, I could assign the safe modes and panic recovery to the Tx. Everything is working to this day. The Horizon E-Flite Trojan has exactly the same modes but I could not get them to work. I dont know why. :poop: