OpenTX and Spektrum RX

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I recently purchased a BNF AeroScout to work on my basic skills. It comes with the Spektrum AR636 RX and I have mostly figured out how to program my Radiomaster TX16S to work with it (flight modes on channel 5, panic on channel 6) but for some reason I'm not getting more than a few degrees of rudder travel in intermediate and expert mode. I haven't hooked a servo checker to it since it seems to deflect more in beginner when mixing rudder with aileron. I'm not missing anything on my radio so I don't know what I'm missing. I suppose I could force the travel to like 125% but that doesn't seem right. Anyone familiar with OpenTX and Spektrum?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I recently purchased a BNF AeroScout to work on my basic skills. It comes with the Spektrum AR636 RX and I have mostly figured out how to program my Radiomaster TX16S to work with it (flight modes on channel 5, panic on channel 6) but for some reason I'm not getting more than a few degrees of rudder travel in intermediate and expert mode. I haven't hooked a servo checker to it since it seems to deflect more in beginner when mixing rudder with aileron. I'm not missing anything on my radio so I don't know what I'm missing. I suppose I could force the travel to like 125% but that doesn't seem right. Anyone familiar with OpenTX and Spektrum?
I know on my Carbon Cub S2 I was very surprised at how little elevator throw it has. In beginner mode it only has a few degrees of throw but that turns out to be enough.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I know on my Carbon Cub S2 I was very surprised at how little elevator throw it has. In beginner mode it only has a few degrees of throw but that turns out to be enough.
I thought about that but it won't even turn on the ground. Shouldn't I get a decent amount in expert (AS3X only)? Given it's a pusher I imaging it doesn't need tons but I feel like I must be missing something. Right now its only 1 to 2 degrees in each direction.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Figured it out; panic switch was reversed so it was engaged with the switch up.

Thats not a good sign when yer plane is in panic mode before even taking off. Did you traumatize it during the build somehow?

Glad it was an easy fix. Opentx can be a little overwhelming when first using it for more then just basic set ups.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
OpenTX hasn't been as bad as I thought, I've gone done the rabbit hole on youtube. This was more a function of my lack of XP with how Spektrum sets there stuff up which IMO is quite different to what I'm used to.

Now I'm messing with getting the channel 5 order correct (safe, intermediate, advanced). Thought I had it figured out with setting offsets to the switches but it seems like I only have Safe and advanced. I may just forget it and live with the default order.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah Spectrum baffles me with what they do or dont do with their gear that is standard to every one else in the business.

tavila71

I thought you needed failsafe to be on channel 5. I have a Eflite Pitts 850mm with same reciever and can't get it to work.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I thought you needed failsafe to be on channel 5. I have a Eflite Pitts 850mm with same reciever and can't get it to work.

I believe failsafe is a function of the radio portion not the controls part of the receiver. The channel 5 thing I believe was for people wanting to assign it to a switch for manual activation? 4 channel receivers still have fail safe. Typically channel 5 is used as either mode switch or arm / throttle cut on typical 6 channel receiver set ups.

Check the receivers user manual for specifics on how it gets set up. It may be a function in the binding process that dictates cut all channels or use a default control configuration.

tavila71

I have a Eflite 850mm Pitts that has the AR636B reciever. I can't get safe or flight modes to work. I tried to follow the Grayson Hobbies video but I think that its for a Sport Cub S. How did you set yours up? Thanks

Ranger_107

Elite member
The aeroscout is a beautiful flying plane. you can do basic stuff and some aerobatics like loops, reversals, rolls inverted nad more. it also glides super good. Have Fun!!

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I have a Eflite 850mm Pitts that has the AR636B reciever. I can't get safe or flight modes to work. I tried to follow the Grayson Hobbies video but I think that its for a Sport Cub S. How did you set yours up? Thanks
Mine set up identical to the Grayson Hobby vid. I elected to not use the panic switch (channel 6) but the modes are on channel 5. My only confusion as a noob to spektrum was that AS3X doesn't engage until 50% throttle so I thought it wasn't working right until I figured that bit out. I used off sets to reorder the mode positions to where I wanted them on the switch as it's just looking for an input value from the TX.