P-51 Galloping Ghost 55" 1.4meter Build log

Gudthor

Well, after building many of the Flite test planes, I want to make something abit bigger and more complicated.
Here I will document my build of the Galloping Ghost.

01-177-Galloping%20Ghost-0078.jpg

I will base the Plane off the FT P51 plans with following modifications:

- Clipped wings as the Galloping ghost has
- Bigger wingspan, 1.4 meter, and that is with clipped wings, therefore I have to scale the original plans to around 170%
- Retracts,, its a racer,, have to have retracts :D
- Steerable tailweel
- Modifications to top of the fuselage to accomondate Smaller canopy
- Removing the Bottom Scoop of the P-51
- BIG Flaps just like the original plane had, the clipped wings will probably make these neccesary for easyer landings

I do not have access to DTFB here in Denmark, but I have ample supplies of 4mm and 7mm Depron foamboards which I will use in my build.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Best Regards: Gudthor

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
That one was next on my build list. Ive built two versions of presious metal CAM00362.jpg 800mm CAM00415.jpg 67% size i have yet to build a fullsize but i plan to soon with retracts, spinner. I just built these for all out speed. Good luck with the build im gonna fallow this build

jayz 84

AkimboGlueGuns im down for some pylon racing if i can make it there next year

Gudthor

Nice planes you have there Jayz :applause:
Started on the wings, have them cut out of the foamboard.
I added more cuts to the innerside of the wings in order to get more aerofoil´ish bend of the wings.
20140915_210732.jpg

The wings are strengthened on the leading edge with heavy packaging tape and then all the wing is covered with plastic folie.
20140915_210859.jpg
20140915_211259.jpg

My goal was to get the color close to the Galloping Ghost, but I went abit overboard with to much Crome :cool:
The wing is not yet glued together, I am going to add some wood spars in there to strengthen it, but there should also be room for the retracts so I have to watch out where the spars are fastened.

Last edited:

Gudthor

Just fyi, I use these pictures to dimension the length/widt/height ratio of the plane.
ghost top.png
ghost side.png

One of my biggest concerns is how it will fly with the clipped wings,, does any of you have experience with FT Spitfire, FT Racer or FT P-51 with clipped wings?

Last edited:

pope

man that wing is cool cant wait to see the rest diggin the chrome will look cool with the numbers painted on

Gudthor

Gudthor heres a wed sits to give you the color and views of all the reno racers http://www.taichiunlimiteddrawings.com/ and what kind of speed are you looking to push her?/power setup. Cause depending a wood spar may not be enough with that wing size..

Thanks Jayz, had not seen this web site before.

I have not settled on power setup yet, but ofcourse it should be fast, thinking using around 800W motor, something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ve_Series_42_38_750kv_785w_EU_Warehouse_.html

and a 4cell battery, not though sure how fast it would be with that setup.

You might be right about the wooden spar not being enough :(.

jayz 84

A good spar setup for you umm check out NERDNIC, profile and the spar build he uses thats how i build my spars. But for you motor thatll be a pretty good size motor for you plane but it depend on how you build your plane you might be looking at 60 to 80mph what kind of speed you looking for? If you can find a 13x13 apc thatll be you best best for speed and 70amp esc

Gudthor

A good spar setup for you umm check out NERDNIC, profile and the spar build he uses thats how i build my spars. But for you motor thatll be a pretty good size motor for you plane but it depend on how you build your plane you might be looking at 60 to 80mph what kind of speed you looking for? If you can find a 13x13 apc thatll be you best best for speed and 70amp esc

My minimum decired speed is 60mph,, that is around 1/6th of the real planes top speed,, my build is also around 1/6th scale.
The spar that NERDIC uses is a good idea, I am gona use that solution in my plane, then the wing should be able to handle some loads.

jayz 84

My minimum decired speed is 60mph,, that is around 1/6th of the real planes top speed,, my build is also around 1/6th scale.
The spar that NERDIC uses is a good idea, I am gona use that solution in my plane, then the wing should be able to handle some loads.
Doing the spar like that makes it super strong it should never break ive crashed diong around 100 and not really one wrong thing with the wing and handle the sharpest turns and dives.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I cartwheeled my FT-Mustang and reused the wing with a new fuse/tail, but the wingtips were crunched so I clipped them. On the same power setup as before clipping it flew just fine. I don't know that I noticed a speed difference, but I did notice that it wasn't as crisp in rolls, but that could be because the clipped-wings also had clipped ailerons. It sill flew great though!

A suggestion for the 'too shiny' surface, as I have a bit of experience with that:

Rough the surface up with a scotchbrite pad, using various different rubbing patterns (circular, straight, zigzag)

jayz 84

And if i remember right with the upgraded motors and arrow dynamic mods the pushed around 450 to 500mph record speeds thatll put up in the 80mph range but you should have the perfect motor for what your looking for