Parkzone F4U Corsair RTF

Fishbonez

Hey all,
I have now had my F4U for about 2 weeks now and due to weather I have only got one flight from her so far. The maiden started out just awesome. What Power holy cow!! My wife actually loved how quite the motor was. Unfortunately that was when things got a bit ugly, I dialed down the ailerons to about 70% but left elevator and rudder alone. I think that was my mistake. While trying to trim her out. I could not keep this plane from climbing she just wanted to go up and more up. I did not have nearly enough trim on my radio to even it out. Also due to the sky she blended into it like a champ. I quickly got disoriented and became worried about landing. So while trying to get back into the wind for a landing I again got disoriented and thought I was inverted so I attempted to roll her over which she did just fine. I quickly learned that I was not inverted unless the ground became the sky. OUCH!! I was confident it was toasted and coming home in a box. A shame because it was a good looking plane. So I began the walk of shame head hung low. After about a 3 minute walk I had finally walked up on the crash site. The first thing I saw was the canopy and had to giggle it would appear the pilot made a quick ejection before the crash and did nit even have scratch. I then began to walk to the plane and found pieces of cowl just about every where and behind some weeds was the plane. Surprisingly enough she was pretty good shape broken firewall and a bent motor shaft. The wing separated cleanly. I wonder if it was designed to do that just a little glue fixed that right up, but I needed a cowl and a firewall. Could have been a lot worse. Went home checked Horizon Hobby for some parts, DRAT all on back order give the LHS a call and yep I could pick them up on Wednesday. Yahoo So I got her all back together in less than 2 hours. Boy did they use a lot of Locktite on this plane th reason it took so long but cant complain. Made some adjustment to my Dual Rates and now if it ever stops snowing and warms up a but hope to try again but until then we wait.

Last edited:

Pilot-294

i fly with my rates at 70% (Dx5e low rate standard setup) trust me you will have more than enough ELE RUD and AIL for nice smooth flight. give that control rod a twist or 2 (i had to do the same) i find with the 3 bladed prop she flies nicely along at about 1/2 - 2/3 stick. as for losing her to the sky, fly her in the cloudy snow. i flew mine without the cowl in the snow and cold and there are NO issues. drop the gear and belly land her on the snow for some fun. everybody says to land her under power but i find if you bring her in to about 10 feet altitude and cut her she glides wonderfully.

i just also busted up my cowl, broke my prop, cracked my wing, and pulled my wing joint out. all because i wanted to learn to throw it myself.... haha oh well its all a really easy fix. as of now i have today and tomorrow to fly and I'm down to my pole cat. my scratch build is a failure, my 300 3d is too light for wind, and my mossie is now a hangar queen P-38-L. so I'm still happy with the pole cat, but i wish i had the bigger one to have more fun with.

Fishbonez

Wow you are flying a Polecat already??? Holy Cow talk about the fast track :cool: I agree go out and enjoy some flite time before rolling out. You will be glad you did. Grab the G-friend and tell her time for some flying time come join me and you never know what may happen WAHOO.

Pilot-294

Yup, ultra micro pole cat on a dx5e I can almost sorta fly it on High rates. Not long cus I'm not that good but I can long enough for an aileron roll or a snap roll. It's a super fun and really fast micro.

And my landings in low wind are starting to look good not to brag haha :cool:

JohnnyV

Soooo... My corsair is sort of busted up in hangar at the moment.... Bought it from a friend in our club.... Got to fly it on a couple of occasions before the earth rose up and ate it. It appeared to be a radio issue to me as I'd been flying it fine and it suddenly took a nose dive with zero control... Pulled up just before it hit.... After the crash, I did some research and seems the ar500 had some brown out issues.... Do the new pz f4u come with the ar600 and are my suspicions correct about the ar500?

Thanks
J

Fishbonez

I purchsed BNF version however going to Horizons website they recommend the AR600 6-Channel Sport DSMX Receiver (SPMAR600)
Buy the way I also use this receiver in my corsair though I have only one flight with her I do use it in other planes as well and with my DX6i I have never had anproblems with it. As far as your ar500 I would think it would work if it meets all the minimum requirements for the Corsair, but I do not think the 500 is in production anymore. I could be wrong though. As for me I go with OEM recommendation or better

JohnnyV

The plane is repairable but I will not be using the original ar500 receiver... I have the pz extra 300 and I just picked up the t-28. Both of those have the ar600...

Fishbonez

Hey all,

I finally got decent weather to fly my F4U today. It was a cold one though. In fact the day started out a bit rough. My rudder servo was frozen. Yep frozen. I could not get her to work after putting her into the truck she thawed out and was ready to roll. Strange I know but that seemed to be the case. I took off and it flew real well but it was still very touchy in the elevator so after a rough landing I physically adjusted the throw on the elevator and put it more in the middle rather than the farthermost hole and that helped the control a lot. The 2nd attempt is what is shown on the video. I did not have anyone to operate the cam until after 4pm but I could not wait that long and had to go for it for the re maiden LOL The 2nd flight was a whole lot better tan the first. She really does has a lot more speed than you would think so she was at 1/2 throttle the whole time in flight. However when it came time to land and I tried to get her up wind to land she suddenly just went nose down. I do not know what happened she just dropped and I was to low to correct it. Nothing physically was wrong so I can only assume I must have zigged when I should have zagged and down she went. Enjoy the video and I open it up for some constructive criticism.

Fishbonez

Yes the pucker factor has become a norm before take off. Larry and I must anounce pucke facto beofore any maiden :D 1=Yea Im cool 10=Holy Sheep Chit Batman.

Yea I do get a close to cameraman hunh LOL I was showing off my lack of take off skills "Yo I ment to do dat" One of the days I will remeber to use some right rudder during take off. "Gee is that not the reason you began troubleshooting the plane in the first place? bonez you can be such a big dummy" LOL

I dig the floats idea on the Corsair! That makes for one ugly duck LOL I was surprised to see it take off and land so easily except for the last one and you gotta dig an RC tug boat ha ha

oagh

was the crash from a tipstall ? flying it to slow?
I have had 1 or 2 tip stalls with my Parkzone F4U Corsair,
I was just going to slow and it drops a wing and thats that :)
down it will go .

Fishbonez

Yes this plane does tip stall if you fly to slow. It also tends to come with bad servos. Last crash due to a sticking/gear stripped servo in right aileron. However if you give her plenty of room to turn and keep her speed up at least at 1/2 throttle. She flys like a dream. One of my faorite planes in my hanger

oagh

I do like mine, and you are right about the 1/2 throttle,I just had a servo in right aileron lock up .lol
its on a vid too :)

It did crash , I tryed to pull out !!!!

Fishbonez

Hey I gotta brag. Well sorta, was flying my Corsair on saturday and my left elevator blew off. Why brag about that? Cuz it was the best ahh crap landing I have ever done. No massive crash. :cool: Also shows the duarability of this plane as well IMHO.
Oh buy the way I usually really bash a plane in an emergency.

EDIT Video did not upload correctly to youtube will fix that then repost the video sorry bout that

Last edited: