Personal Question - Do Procrastinate In Hobby?

TheOldMonk

Do You procrastinate or are just too lazy just to get up to work on Your hobby even though You are very interested? Are you lazy in general? How do You overcome it?

Tench745

Master member
"Am I procrastinating, or just lazy?" This is a question I ask myself all the time. I still don't have a good answer.
For me it's really easy to start a project, get a good way into it, then get burnt out, or bored, or stalled, or hit a design challenge I don't know how to solve, etc. Often times that project will get set aside until something piques my interest and I dive in again.
Sometimes when I have something I want to get done, I remove as many distractions as I can and just start doing a little, simple thing. It doesn't usually take long after I start fiddling with one little part that the hyper-focus takes over and I'm back to building. Making that decision to just do something, anything, is what takes the most willpower for me.
I heard someone once say that motivation isn't when you want to do something; motivation is when it becomes harder not to do the thing.
So sometimes I manufacture situations where it becomes easier to do the thing than not to. For example, I might keep a project I need to finish in the way on my build table so I have to do something with it before I can work on something else. Sometimes I'll set a deadline or goal to help motivate me and then tell other people what I'm planning; like competing in a forum build/design challenge or finishing something for Flite Fest. It's harder not to do something when you have friends to support you and hold you accountable.
All that said; I have one model that's been "almost finished" for seven years. I have another that just needs the ailerons installed before it's airworthy. It's been like that for 14 months and counting, so my hobby life-hacks don't always work. You'll need to find what works for you.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Usually it's not "lazy" it's being worn out from work, distraction, ADD, all kinds of things.
I'm preaching to myself here but you gotta find out what the snag is and find mental work arounds.
I've got 4 projects in various states and need to just focus on the closest to finished then the next...

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
It's a hobby, should we be intentionally procrastinating if that's what we enjoy? I normally have seven to ten very different projects going at the same time. I enjoy building and I enjoy flying. As long as I have something to build and something to fly, I'm happy.

I do tend to focus when I fly FPV drones and I strive to improve my skills. So I don't procrastinate there.

Fun question.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Or..... is it ADHD? I have so many active projects going because every time I see something interesting, I gotta do it. I have been trying to stop starting new stuff for years now, but there is ALWAYS something new popping up.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Or..... is it ADHD? I have so many active projects going because every time I see something interesting, I gotta do it. I have been trying to stop starting new stuff for years now, but there is ALWAYS something new popping up.
I'm 90% convenienced that I have some of one of those letter things. I try to divert myself back around with finishing days but don't always succeed.

luvmy40

Elite member
For me, it's my lack of organization skills. I talk a good game. I have great plans. I spend a lot of time figuring out how to organize my build space and garage shop, buy "stuff" to help organize, then never quite finish the organizing part of the equation. My build space is constant chaos. I have to clean/organize before I can build. Every time. Regardless of my good intentions, when I finally do get things somewhat organized the chaos returns mid build and stays till the next go round.

TheOldMonk

For me, it's my lack of organization skills. I talk a good game. I have great plans. I spend a lot of time figuring out how to organize my build space and garage shop, buy "stuff" to help organize, then never quite finish the organizing part of the equation. My build space is constant chaos. I have to clean/organize before I can build. Every time. Regardless of my good intentions, when I finally do get things somewhat organized the chaos returns mid build and stays till the next go round.
That sounds more like me.

Piotrsko

Master member
Fwiw, I  thought that retiring would free up all sorts of time. Unfortunately the universe conspires differently. As far as I can see, being employed forces you to apportion your spare time and remain focused. Thats my contribution to this thread: you have to want to do something for it to be consistently accomplished.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Fwiw, I  thought that retiring would free up all sorts of time. Unfortunately the universe conspires differently. As far as I can see, being employed forces you to apportion your spare time and remain focused. Thats my contribution to this thread: you have to want to do something for it to be consistently accomplished.
So it's only going to get worse? GREAT!!!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I dare say it is something that happens to all of us to a greater or lesser extent. Nowadays it is easy to be bombarded with information: Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube, etc ... every second you are seeing potential new projects, and if you have trouble focusing on a goal, it is normal to abandon or stop projects indefinitely.
It happens to me very often, I usually have several projects in progress and I have to call myself to reflection because I'm constantly looking for new challenges that make the paused projects look boring. However a trick that works for me is to go back to see photos and videos of those models that you have stopped in the workshop, it usually revives the flame and makes me resume the project.
Do You procrastinate or are just too lazy just to get up to work on Your hobby even though You are very interested? Are you lazy in general? How do You overcome it?

TheOldMonk

That, My Brother, Sounds Real Good Tip.
I dare say it is something that happens to all of us to a greater or lesser extent. Nowadays it is easy to be bombarded with information: Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube, etc ... every second you are seeing potential new projects, and if you have trouble focusing on a goal, it is normal to abandon or stop projects indefinitely.
It happens to me very often, I usually have several projects in progress and I have to call myself to reflection because I'm constantly looking for new challenges that make the paused projects look boring. However a trick that works for me is to go back to see photos and videos of those models that you have stopped in the workshop, it usually revives the flame and makes me resume the project.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
It gets worse only if you let it get worse. Focus on things you want to get done, keep the "to do" list populated with too much stuff, you'll be fine. The difference for me is I can now see my green fridge because all the yellow honey-do post it notes are finally gone.
Whew! Well that's the plan. I know there will be growing pains as I've never been retired before. It's been since the 1970s that I've had more than two weeks unstructured at a time.

54 weeks (max) so we'll find out soon.

I have more planed than I can possibly do so it's just a matter of sticking to it.

Crashbandit

My issue seems to be I'll get frustrated with not completing a project, then when I do get after it, I do a poor job. I know it takes practice to get better at building. But it may be more important to have the patience to do a good job. My dad had the patience of a slow growing vegetable. I didn't inherit that unfortunately!

Tench745

Master member
My issue seems to be I'll get frustrated with not completing a project, then when I do get after it, I do a poor job. I know it takes practice to get better at building. But it may be more important to have the patience to do a good job. My dad had the patience of a slow growing vegetable. I didn't inherit that unfortunately!
In any project, but especially in larger projects, I find it's important to break things down into individual tasks. For example, don't frame it as trying to build an RC plane; maybe your task today is just to cut and prep the pieces. Now you have a bunch of time (mentally) to do a good job of that, and if it goes well/quickly you can get a jumpstart on the next task.
I'm building a real airplane (in addition to my models). I have over 800 hours into it already. I can't imagine building a whole airplane, and when I try it turns me off to the whole project. But, when I set myself the task of cutting and drilling a fitting, that's something I know I can do.
This may not apply to the question, but my mindset for the (real) airplane build as a whole has always been that the airplane is not the project; I am. I started it to build my skills, practice what I know, learn more, and do the work to the best of my ability. If my best isn't good enough yet and I have a part I am unhappy with, I step back, practice/research more until I'm feeling more confident, and then make the part again.

Crow929

I'm a perfectionist. I'm uncomfortable doing things that I don't have 100% knowledge/confidence in. One of the reasons my projects hit a wall is I come to a step where I'm afraid the result will not be what I am expecting. I will then let it sit, often thinking about it or researching a ton about it. Eventually I either feel confident that I know what to do, or I realize that I will NEVER get to that point and that procrastinating longer will have no effect on the outcome. It's silly, they're only foamboard models, even the non-perfect ones will fly. But there's just something about my personality that prohibits accepting adequacy.
I have kit builds waiting to be started, repairs waiting to be finished, and scratch builds that are moving at a snail's pace. But, it's a hobby, I tinker with them when I feel like it. There's no pressure to get any of it done except for the pressure I put on myself (I must get at least one sea plane flying before Summer) :)

TheOldMonk

I'm a perfectionist. I'm uncomfortable doing things that I don't have 100% knowledge/confidence in. One of the reasons my projects hit a wall is I come to a step where I'm afraid the result will not be what I am expecting. I will then let it sit, often thinking about it or researching a ton about it. Eventually I either feel confident that I know what to do, or I realize that I will NEVER get to that point and that procrastinating longer will have no effect on the outcome. It's silly, they're only foamboard models, even the non-perfect ones will fly. But there's just something about my personality that prohibits accepting adequacy.
I have kit builds waiting to be started, repairs waiting to be finished, and scratch builds that are moving at a snail's pace. But, it's a hobby, I tinker with them when I feel like it. There's no pressure to get any of it done except for the pressure I put on myself (I must get at least one sea plane flying before Summer) :)
Youtube only makes it worse when You see Absolutely perfect looking models coming out and you are just scratch building. I have gone through the same issue trying to achieve perfection for no reason whatsoever. That is one more reason I guess I procrastinate.

My friend works as Data Analyst at Walmart - He focuses more at getting the task done optimally and often finds good peace and time for himself. However, his teammate is perfectionist and her work-life balance is off.

Here as well, I think, I should start at building models optimally - perfectionism shall catch up over time.

TheOldMonk

In any project, but especially in larger projects, I find it's important to break things down into individual tasks. For example, don't frame it as trying to build an RC plane; maybe your task today is just to cut and prep the pieces. Now you have a bunch of time (mentally) to do a good job of that, and if it goes well/quickly you can get a jumpstart on the next task.
I'm building a real airplane (in addition to my models). I have over 800 hours into it already. I can't imagine building a whole airplane, and when I try it turns me off to the whole project. But, when I set myself the task of cutting and drilling a fitting, that's something I know I can do.
This may not apply to the question, but my mindset for the (real) airplane build as a whole has always been that the airplane is not the project; I am. I started it to build my skills, practice what I know, learn more, and do the work to the best of my ability. If my best isn't good enough yet and I have a part I am unhappy with, I step back, practice/research more until I'm feeling more confident, and then make the part again.
One more angel tip to my devil procrastinator. Thank.