Please help!

Porthios

I'm working on my 4th quad build. I was feeling confident in my skills until tonight.
I am running the Naze 32 Rev6 flashed to Cleanflight. I am running DYS XMS 20A ESCs w/ BL Heli and EMAX 2205 2300KV motors.

I have calibrated the ESCs (3 times actually thinking this was the problem). When I power up the motors in Cleanflight or BLHeli Suite they power up perfectly and sound beautiful.

Then I arm the quad and throttle it up and it starts moving a shaking, pretty violently (without props of course, lesson learned there). You can see the motors spiking in Cleanflight

I thought it could be the receiver / protocol so I tried ppm and sbus FRSky receiver and it still loses its mind on the bench. I verified all wiring, made sure no power or cables of any kind are crossing over the board. I removed all peripherals, reset the FC, reflashed the ESCs, replaced the ESCs. I doubt it's the motors because they work perfect when controlled by the PC. Recaliberated the accelerometer, disabled Baro. Changed loptime to 1500, 2000,2500,3000.

Any ideas on what I might be able to do. It shakes so much I'm a bit afraid to throw props on it. I don't want to scratch this build, I like it a lot. My final thoughts after a couple hours tonight was to order a new FC and see if that might be it. Any ideas would be super helpful.

kerrycorcoran

Not sure of the issue, but I had a similar issue with a Naze AfroFlight v5. I finally just threw some props on it and VERY carefully took it for flight; no issues.

Sorry this doesn't help much, but for some reason after that it seemed fine.

Only other thing I can think of is you have a bad batch of ESCs, maybe?! Or perhaps try flashing w/ BetaFlight - see if the issue follows different code.

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
My first thought was you have it in level mode or air mode and when you arm it tries to level itself or make adjustments. It could be something with your pid loop that makes it spike too but probably not. If it spins up nicely in clean flight it's probably not esc/motor related. I could be off here but my advice would be to throw some props on it and see what it does (at a safe distance, finger on the arm switch). You could also try flashing your board with betaflight. If this is an issue with settings/pids, stock pids in betaflight work well with most builds. Good luck!

Porthios

Hello well I reflashed cleanflight, and betaflight and tried it with props. It shakes and YAWs when I use a CPPM or SBUS receiver. When I test motors and ESCs with BLHeli Suite or Cleanflight motors and ESCs power up and sound great. Im starting to lean towards malfunctioning FC. Thought?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You could always run black box while its on the bench and your issue is repeatable. That will at least give you an idea of what the gyros accelerometers and motors are doing. A problem this predominant would show immediately I would think and be easy to spot where the root of the problem is.

Porthios

Ok I'm not familiar with using the black box feature. I will do some googling and see if I can figure it out.

Porthios

Well friends I need help still

I am going to provide all the information I can and would be mire than appreciative of any help you can Provide.

So recap of what is going on and what I have tried for the 3rd or 4th time:

I built quad with Nano 20A ESCs and EMAX Red Bottom motors, I have replaced the ESCs with DYS 20a and replaced the FC board. Still same symptoms. I have black box logs and video of what is going on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhnABwk_BCXdVpnUU8wT09zalU This is the black box data

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-dAfKhwbSg What it is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZunkvBruKs4 Motor testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLJ1dQ0U-c Info from transmitter

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
2 things I would do before you try anything else. (Maybe you have already)

1. Make sure your fc isn't getting bombarded with vibrations. (One unbalanced motor can make some pretty harsh vibrations) so if you haven't done so already, check to make sure the motor bell housings are balanced.
2. If everything else checks out, just throw some props on it, stand back and see what she does. Worst case scenario is it thrashes around for a half second before you disarm it. If you haven't tried flying it yet, it may actually be nothing!
My $.02
Good luck!

Porthios

Thank you for suggestions, It shakes like a crazy machine with props on. Biggest flag on motors is that it works just fine with motor test in BL Heli Suite and Cleanflight it when I go to fly it that it loses its mind.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I remember when I went thru the swap to 30 amp esc's a shaking problem.. Over the course of calibrating the esc's a bunch of times I inadvertently put one of them into braking mode. That caused my quad do do the hoppy dance like you are describing. It did run up nicely in clean flight but when the radio armed the dancing started. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Watch your motors one at a time as they slow to a stop after you throttle up a bit with the tx and not CF. If you did what I did it will be obvious which motors that are now set to a braking mode.

Porthios

HElp

I remember when I went thru the swap to 30 amp esc's a shaking problem.. Over the course of calibrating the esc's a bunch of times I inadvertently put one of them into braking mode. That caused my quad do do the hoppy dance like you are describing. It did run up nicely in clean flight but when the radio armed the dancing started. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Watch your motors one at a time as they slow to a stop after you throttle up a bit with the tx and not CF. If you did what I did it will be obvious which motors that are now set to a braking mode.

What can I do to try and fix this?