• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

PLEASE READ, AMA Insurance, flying in Fields/Parks etc. PLEASE READ

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
To all,
Another spot of the forums here had a thread concerning what size plane is too big to fly in certain locations. It started me thinking about the liability that goes along with flying. With the growing popularity of our hobby and park flyers in particular coupled with a lack of flying areas or at least a lack of knowledge of local flying areas, there's a growing risk of injury or damage to the public.
When I go to fly with my brother at his local field, they require all members to carry the AMA insurance. You're allowed one "supervised" trial visit and then you are expected to come prepared. They are an AMA approved field and they take it very seriously. I looked into it and it turns out that it's very reasonably priced and there are a lot of benefits that go with it. Here's the link.


It only takes a few minutes to register, and you can see that for only $29.99 per year, you can get into the Park Pilot program for electric only planes under 2 pounds and 60 mph which comes along with $500,000.00 of personal liability insurance.

I personally maintain a membership because I fly in a lot of places including local parks, an impromptu flying field on city property, local softball fields, out along the shoreline, our local gymnasium etc. I also take every opportunity I can to introduce new pilots which increases my odds of having an incident. I highly encourage everyone to support the AMA and also take advantage of the protection it offers. One injury from a plane gone awry and hitting someone in a park would certainly end most peoples flying.

Please take the time to visit this link and at least review the options and weigh the benefits for yourself. Note that there are many options. Full, Park Pilot, Youth, Student etc.

Thank you.
Ak Flyer