Preferred Batteries for Tiny Whoop

Gryf

Hi all -

I'm having big fun flying my Whoop around the house, but I need some advice on batteries. Our Local Hobby Shop stocks Lectron Pro cells, and I've been using the 250 mAH 45C models. FWIW, they're available here.

Performance is fine, but I'm only getting about 1.75 minutes for each flight, and this is just flying from room to room, downstairs/upstairs, etc... no full-throttle punch-outs or anything like that.

Can I expect better performance from a different brand of cell? Say, for example, the ones sold by Tiny Whoop? I'd rather stay with the micro-JST connectors vs. the PowerWhoop plugs, since the micros fit my charging setup.

Thanks for any advice! I'm seriously enjoying learning FPV via the Tiny Whoop. What a great platform... my hope is that I can get a lot of practice during the winter, then work with my Gremlin outside when the weather gets better. But building my skills in sub-two-minute shots is a little frustrating. So any of you with some experience in Whoop batteries, please advise.

And if it helps, I built my Whoop from a stock Inductrix, using Special Sauce motors and the Hyperion camera/VTX. I've also installed the heavier-gauge micro-JST battery leads from Tiny Whoop. Again, it flies great... just not long enough. :-(

Thanks in advance!

Gryf

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I use 260 mah HV (4.35V) packs on my whoops with the larger connectors. I think the HV is more important than the “reported” mah on the packs.

BETAFPV 8pcs 260mAh HV 1S Lipo Battery 30C 4.35V with JST-PH 2.0 Powerwhoop Connector for Tiny Whoop Blade Inductrix https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07121V7MB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MTbIAbXZEZXFT

This charger will cover stock plugs, the larger plugs, standard voltage, and high voltage batteries

BETAFPV 1s Lipo LiHV Charger Board with XT60 12A 3V Battery Charger Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BXBSX5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dVbIAbAGKT16B

Gryf

Alrighty, the larger batteries, charger, and some PowerWhoop battery leads are on order. Thanks again.

That said, here's a related question. Do these little batteries normally "go off" with repeated use? Meaning, batteries that used to give my Whoop 2.5 or 3 minutes of flight are now down to around 1.5 minutes or less on a full charge... and four of these cells are relatively new. Can I expect the PowerWhoop cells to gradually deteriorate like the ones I'm using now? If so, that's a bummer. I've been using some of the same 3S LiPos for several years in my planes, and they just keep working. I figured the single-cell jobs would do likewise.

Thanks!

Gryf

Last edited:

Gryf

Just a quick bump... I just got 44 seconds from a "fully charged" 250 mAH cell, and 19 seconds from a 220. Laughable... again, do these things deteriorate with use? As mentioned, I have some PowerWhoop HV cells and a charger on the way, and I'm sure that will make a world of difference. But will the HVs eventually crap out, too?

Aargh,

Gryf

Last edited:

Gryf

Quick update for the sake of closure - I've switched over to 260 mAh HV cells with the PowerWhoop connection, and the difference is night and day. I've been getting excellent flight times and really good performance. Guess the cells from the Local Hobby Shop aren't up to the task of throwing a Whoop around.

Thanks -

Gryf

Majah

Dumb question, but, designing a tiny whoop kit for my kid who wants to build one. Which battery is best and how do you fix it on the whoop? :D This would be for the board: Eachine Beecore V2.0 Frsky D16 Brushed F3 OSD Flight Controller for Inductrix Tiny Whoop

Bricks

Master member
Quick update for the sake of closure - I've switched over to 260 mAh HV cells with the PowerWhoop connection, and the difference is night and day. I've been getting excellent flight times and really good performance. Guess the cells from the Local Hobby Shop aren't up to the task of throwing a Whoop around.

Thanks -

Gryf

It may not be the batteries them selves if you are still using the micro 1.25 JST connector. Watched a couple of Ytube videos where his batteries were only giving him 1-1 1/2 minutes from almost 4 minutes. Changed over to the 2,0 JST connectors and his flight time went back up to normal. The 1,25 connectors can wear out in as little as 30 connection cycles or at least degrade..

valueseek

My opinion:
Your batteries are not rated for enough amps. You are using a small low current battery and a portion of the 250 mah is being turned into heat. The battery might not get really hot, because 250 MAH is not much power and 2 minutes of flight is not long enough to heat soak the battery.

0.25ah *45c= 11.25 amps. You are most likely pulling more than that. The standard 360 mah batteries on my hubsan x4 clone toy are more powerful than that.

The other batteries you bought should work a bit better with that 30c/60c rating making 15.6a max.

I'm not saying buy the batteries i linked, i know nothing about them other than the mah and c rating but i will use them for an example. 0.55*50= 27.5a a strong battery that will be punchy and wont heat up as much, giving you long and fun flights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HW99TD/?tag=lstir-20