Tiny Whoop Battery Questions

Gryf

Hi, all.

A while back I bought an Inductrix FPV with the intent of learning FPV. Had a great time... and using 220 mAH batteries, I was getting good, solid 4-minute flights. Then I accidentally damaged a couple of the motors, and replaced all four with Special Sauce motors from the Whoop store at Flite Fest, along with a set of their props. Flights were fine, but battery life went way down, like only a minute or two at best. I figured that the new motors were dragging the batteries down, and was considering swapping the battery lead out for a heavier one, also from Tiny Whoop.

Then I lost the quad. I assume it's here at home somewhere, but I sure can't find it.

So, back to square one, this time with a standard Inductrix, fitted with a Hyperion camera/VTX, soldered into the flight controller per Tiny Whoop's instructions on YouTube. Flies great, with good video to my goggles, but even with the stock Inductrix motors/props, my flight times are still really short. Meaning, I headed out to the back yard yesterday with a pocketful of freshly charged batteries and flew through all of them. Flights ranged from about 3.5 minutes down to only a few seconds. :-(

So do these little batteries just lose their stuff after a few flights? I charge them with an E-Flite Celectra 4-port charger... would I be better off with a parallel board and the standard charger I use with my larger multi-cell packs?

Thanks for any advice!

Gryf

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Howdy. I've done lots of testing with motors, props, batteries and battery connectors. 2-bladed props yield the longest flight times at the expense of a little thrust and the battery connectors make all the difference in the world.

Here's my synopses: https://tazrc.com/inductrix-fpv-light

three west

more TW battery questions

I was just thinking of making a post quite similar to yours Gryf.
I'm pretty new to this, and got started with an Inductrix FPV, and was loving it. I bought some more batteries and a charger on Amazon, but after another 10 flights or so, it seems my batteries are shot. With most of them I cannot even get out of ground effect and up into the air.

I wonder if the batteries were trash, or if it was my charging that was the issue. I just grabbed any old USB wall wart that I had handy, but I see now that its a 5.1V 1150 mA (E-flite single is 4.2V 300 mA), and I wonder if my el cheapo charging board was charging at more than 1C? It has switches on the ports for 200 mAh or 500 mAh and I set them all to 200 which would suggest the board is stepping down to charge at the proper rates.

I guess my question was more about battery care, but I had heard that the battery connecter was a bottleneck.

The charger in question in my case: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHMCBJN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Have your degraded over time, or have them been inconsistent/bad from the start?

Gryf

Well, progress. I've modded the Inductrix by swapping the battery lead out for a heavier one with the red JST connector. I've converted a couple of my batteries to JST as well, meaning I can now charge them on my "big" charger. Then yesterday I installed Tiny Whoop's "Special Sauce" motors, with a set of their props. All seems well! I still need to get in a full flight, but will report back.

Gryf

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I noticed a jump in performance on my Gremlin after switching to XT30s with heavier wire to the FC. Having the ability to transfer that current is just as important as a battery making the current as power hungry as these things are.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Thanks for the update. How many Kv are your Special Sauce motors? Good luck with your flight.