Help! prop choice for some motors given to me

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I was given a few E-flite 450 heli motors 3600KV (they are 3s motors) I have some 40A & 50 A ESC's laying around what would be a good prop & pitch for a place to start testing to find the right prop......I was thinking for a versa wing
I have never been good at this part KV/ESC/prop selection

thanks for looking

b-29er

High KV motors are good for high-speed applications, and that is obnoxiously fast...i'd say the 4.5" one they're using on the Strix Goblin high performance.
https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/apc-4-5x4-1se-prop

DO NOT use a plastic multirotor prop...you're looking at a 50% higher KV than your usual 2205 brushless motor. pair it with a 50a esc and do some bench tests with an rc ammeter to make sure you're not gonna smoke it in flight.

If its got the power to spin that prop, put it in something slick and not terribly large. it will go fast.

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
thanks much for the info....kinda what I expected most of my motors are 800- 2200 kv ......so I knew this would be ridiculous fast
I did a bench test with a plastic 8x6 it worked but its started to get a bit warm and thought it may be a bit too big

cheers

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
thanks much for the info....kinda what I expected most of my motors are 800- 2200 kv ......so I knew this would be ridiculous fast

cheers
800kv is fine to go slower. 2200 you can still go slow, if it is a 1806, like the mini scout for example uses that. Its when you get above 3000 when you HAVE to go fast with that (unless you use a gearbox)

quorneng

Master member
High kv motor are slightly more powerful for their weight so it makes sense to use them in a helicopter where you are going to have to use a gearbox anyway.

EDFs can use high kV motors but then they are in effect turning small props very fast but do loose quite a bit of efficiency doing so.