Questions with KISS

Liam B

Hey everyone.

So I just finished my quad with the KISS FC and ESC's. I tried watching Rotor Riot's video but it made no sense. How do you connect the FC to the KISS gui using Windows? And how do you flash the firmware from there?

thnks

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Long story short, The KISS FCs do not come with firmware flashed on them. Before you can connect with the KISS GUI, you will need to download and install DfuSeDemo from an indirect link on the FlyDuino site. You will also need to download the latest (1.2) firmware from FlyDuino. After plugging in the FC into your system with the BOOT button pressed, it will go through driver installation. It will most likely install the wrong one. It will probably show up in device manager as STM32 BOOTLOADER. Select that device, click [Update Driver], [Browse my computer for driver software], [Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer], [Next], [Have Disk], and browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\DfuSe v3.0.5\Bin\Driver\Win7\x64\STtube.inf (if you are using 32 bit windows you will need to adjust path accordingly)

After this driver installs, the device should show up as "STM Device in DFU Mode" once you get this far, the correct driver is loaded and you can flash the firmware.

If you get to the point where you have "STM Device in DFU Mode" when plugging in with the boot button, then you should be able to follow the rest of the firmware flashing steps using the DfuSeDemo. I can step through some more steps if you get this far.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Liam B

Thanks so much LitterBug. It's been a real hassle with the lack of material on the subject.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I just went through KISS 101 about a week or so ago myself with a KISS CC AIO. I plan on going through step by step tonight capturing screenshots along the way including the firmware flashing. I'll use the FC PsyBorg sent me rather than the AIO so the steps should match better for yours.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Liam B

Did you download and install the DfuSeDemo program? It is included with that installer. I plan on including the links along with the step-by-step screenshots tonight.

I just got it to work. It didn't work the first time, but it did the second. Next I need to set up the PID's and receiver type and all that, but I'm borrowing my friends computer and we plan on doing it tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help! It'll be great to have it for FFWest and my birthday.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Greta job Stig. Working thru all that can be a Royal PITA. Litterbugs write up is spot on and will help many people. I think once he makes his video that it should get stickied for all the KISS users. He is doing an amazing job helping the community in the last six months to a year depending when he started the super secret mission testing FC's for the programmers. The info out now is way too out dated specially when it comes to the drivers stuff.

Start out with stock pids. I am finding that with the new firmware you just flashed to that I had to lower my pids to get it to fly the way it was before. Once I have it dialed back in where I like It Ill post em for people to try even though no ones quads are the same even with the same parts.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Glad you got it working Stig! It was rather intimidating to start down this rabbit hole when even Bardwell has said Kiss and the other FC drivers don't play well with each other. But either something has changed since he last said that, or I found a workaround. Busy grabbing screenshots and will post it up later tonight!

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: I will be doing a thread, not a video. I find it easier to follow along when I can scroll up/down rather than have to ff-rew through a video.

Last edited:

Liam B

Greta job Stig. Working thru all that can be a Royal PITA. Litterbugs write up is spot on and will help many people. I think once he makes his video that it should get stickied for all the KISS users. He is doing an amazing job helping the community in the last six months to a year depending when he started the super secret mission testing FC's for the programmers. The info out now is way too out dated specially when it comes to the drivers stuff.

Start out with stock pids. I am finding that with the new firmware you just flashed to that I had to lower my pids to get it to fly the way it was before. Once I have it dialed back in where I like It Ill post em for people to try even though no ones quads are the same even with the same parts.

Indeed, it is a pain. Glad to have LitterBug helping everyone out. Thanks for the PID help. Once I get my friend's computer back tomorrow, I'll plug in to the GUI and start with the Board direction and receiver type and what switch is arm and such. The PID's sound like a pain, but I found a nice app for iPhones which is just KISS GUI.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
if you have a Taranis the newest firmware includes LUA scripting that allows you to tune right from the radio. I was using it just yesterday and It works great. Such a huge aid that is.

For now I would set stock pids and work on flying. Build your skills up to where you have rates set around the 1000 degree per second rotation rates. (DO NOT start there hehe) and can fly reliably in acro mode. I set up self leveling but never fly with it. I have it for emergencies like lost video where I can hit that and let the craft get to a hover while I remove goggles or have video come back on its own. Thankfully I don't have a need for that much at all even flying only using 25 mw.

PIDS are not a pain once you can visualize what the changes do and what to look for. Its a specific process that gets you going pretty quickly if you have patience and follow the steps needed.

Liam B

So, I have a NEW problem! We plug the FC into the computer and try all the COM ports, but we haven't got a successful connection to the FC. Any ideas?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You may need to install the STM32 drivers if you have never installed them or zadig drivers.

Do you have any devices showing up in Device Manager with an exclamation point next to them?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Liam B

Can you post a picture of your Device Manager screen?

LB

image.jpg

That's all I see. I get the STM32 BOOTLOADER when holding the boot button, and I have successfully flashed the firmware multiple times. It just doesn't assign a COM port when plugged back in.

Liam B

So, to sum it up, the FC won't assign itself to a COM port, no matter what Windows machine I use. After plugging it back in from DfUse Demo, it just says STM32 Virtual COM Port instead of actually assigning it to a COM port.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So, to sum it up, the FC won't assign itself to a COM port, no matter what Windows machine I use. After plugging it back in from DfUse Demo, it just says STM32 Virtual COM Port instead of actually assigning it to a COM port.

Looks like you need to force the correct driver on the device. I'll have to play with the STM32 drivers on another box tonight. Will add that to one of the sections in the install thread.

Cheers!
LB

Liam B

Looks like you need to force the correct driver on the device. I'll have to play with the STM32 drivers on another box tonight. Will add that to one of the sections in the install thread.

Cheers!
LB

I'm going to FliteFest West tomorrow. Do you think that someone will have a computer that can successfully connect there?