Racing FPV Quad - Noob Questions!

kjparenteau

I am relatively new to the hobby, but been a fan for a long time seeking an entry point in. I am looking to make an FPV racing quad using the Versacopter kit, however I have never built a quad before, and have some questions. I will probably get the recommended Power Pack E and the Naze32 controller to start. I am familiar with flying a quad already with my Blade Nano QX. I've gotten pretty good with flying it, make it flip and zip around full tilt. I usually fly in SAFE mode, but I am getting better with agility mode. My questions are around the other items in the build and what to buy...

First the TX! I was originally thinking the DX6i or DX6. I am wanting to end up having a TX that can handle several foam planes from FT and a couple quads. Is Spektrum the appropriate TX's to look at or should I be looking at something different or even more affordable? At some point as I get better with FPV I am hoping to build a long range wing plane. Can those TX's handle long range configurations?

The next question is around the receivers. As long as it works with the TX, all the components on the quad would work with it correct? I wasn't finding a whole lot on compatibility, so thought I would ask.

Batteries? Does anyone have any recommendations for a battery for long life, and then one more geared for high speed and performance?

FPV - I am a little lost here... Do the goggles make you feel disoriented (like an Oculus Rift headset)?? Is there a way to bring it to a mobile device or TV or computer screen? What setup or kit would be recommended?? It looks like I can get more transmitters and cameras and simply change the frequency for different aircraft? Can someone give me an idea of how that works a little better?

Thank you in advance!
Noob Pilot

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
First the TX! I was originally thinking the DX6i or DX6. I am wanting to end up having a TX that can handle several foam planes from FT and a couple quads. Is Spektrum the appropriate TX's to look at or should I be looking at something different or even more affordable? At some point as I get better with FPV I am hoping to build a long range wing plane. Can those TX's handle long range configurations?

If you can find a good price on a used DX6i, it can be hard to beat. There's quite a bit more functionality in the DX6 that the DX6i, but at that price, I'd suggest a hard long look at the FRSky Taranis -- it's a bit harder to program, but one of the best-bang-for-buck TX's on the market.

As far as LRS, these are generally run either via plug-in module or trainer port, which any of these radios support . . . but I'd make that a long term goal. It's not as fun as it seems, and the "challenge" is generally more in how to manage the risk of loosing your airframe forever -- Autopilots and RTH fail far too easily to be blindly trusted.

The next question is around the receivers. As long as it works with the TX, all the components on the quad would work with it correct? I wasn't finding a whole lot on compatibility, so thought I would ask.

the Naze will support any standard RX natively. the single wire RX's -- CPPM RX, Spectrum Satilite RX, and S.Bus RXs -- are also supported, however you probably will need a bit more electronics for most S.bus gear.

Batteries? Does anyone have any recommendations for a battery for long life, and then one more geared for high speed and performance?

batteries will depend on what you're flying. mini-FPV quads generally go for small high-C packs for short energetic flights. wings/AP multirotors/ larger airframes tend to go for larger low-C packs for longer more sedate flying . . . and there's plenty of flying in between. I'd recommend pick an airframe to start matching the style you want to fly (slow and easy or fast and energetic), then match the battery to the airframe. For the versa copter, I'd lean you toward high-C rated (35C+) 1300mAh to 2200mAh 3S packs.

FPV - I am a little lost here... Do the goggles make you feel disoriented (like an Oculus Rift headset)?? Is there a way to bring it to a mobile device or TV or computer screen? What setup or kit would be recommended?? It looks like I can get more transmitters and cameras and simply change the frequency for different aircraft? Can someone give me an idea of how that works a little better?

Think of FPV more like a TV station you run on your airplane. you've got a camera and transmitter on the plane -- that's the minimum you need, but it's kinda boring without TV viewers. You, the viewer need a tuner and a display (goggle/screen). you pick matching channels (and hopefully only one TV station per "market area") and you see what's going on in the airplane on your TV.

Goggles vs. screen is a personal choice. goggles, hands down are the most convienient packages, and tend to be more immersive, but they're not cheap, inflexible and not everybody likes them. Screens are CHEAP, and you can more easily mix-and-match it with VRX gear, but they can be very bulky and unwieldy. The recent explosion of the hybrid screen-in-a-beer-cooler like the quantum DIY and the headplay "goggles" is an interesting blend of the two options.

By all means, do what you like , but TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT. FPV ground gear is very pricy and it's not hard to get the gear you personally hate -- even honest, well-meaning recommendations can steer you wrong here. If there's an FPV meet or you see someone flying it or you see it in the store, Ask to give it a try. Most pilots will be happy to let you, if you ask nicely.

kjparenteau

If you can find a good price on a used DX6i, it can be hard to beat. There's quite a bit more functionality in the DX6 that the DX6i, but at that price, I'd suggest a hard long look at the FRSky Taranis -- it's a bit harder to program, but one of the best-bang-for-buck TX's on the market.

As far as LRS, these are generally run either via plug-in module or trainer port, which any of these radios support . . . but I'd make that a long term goal. It's not as fun as it seems, and the "challenge" is generally more in how to manage the risk of loosing your airframe forever -- Autopilots and RTH fail far too easily to be blindly trusted.

the Naze will support any standard RX natively. the single wire RX's -- CPPM RX, Spectrum Satilite RX, and S.Bus RXs -- are also supported, however you probably will need a bit more electronics for most S.bus gear.

batteries will depend on what you're flying. mini-FPV quads generally go for small high-C packs for short energetic flights. wings/AP multirotors/ larger airframes tend to go for larger low-C packs for longer more sedate flying . . . and there's plenty of flying in between. I'd recommend pick an airframe to start matching the style you want to fly (slow and easy or fast and energetic), then match the battery to the airframe. For the versa copter, I'd lean you toward high-C rated (35C+) 1300mAh to 2200mAh 3S packs.

Think of FPV more like a TV station you run on your airplane. you've got a camera and transmitter on the plane -- that's the minimum you need, but it's kinda boring without TV viewers. You, the viewer need a tuner and a display (goggle/screen). you pick matching channels (and hopefully only one TV station per "market area") and you see what's going on in the airplane on your TV.

Goggles vs. screen is a personal choice. goggles, hands down are the most convienient packages, and tend to be more immersive, but they're not cheap, inflexible and not everybody likes them. Screens are CHEAP, and you can more easily mix-and-match it with VRX gear, but they can be very bulky and unwieldy. The recent explosion of the hybrid screen-in-a-beer-cooler like the quantum DIY and the headplay "goggles" is an interesting blend of the two options.

By all means, do what you like , but TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT. FPV ground gear is very pricy and it's not hard to get the gear you personally hate -- even honest, well-meaning recommendations can steer you wrong here. If there's an FPV meet or you see someone flying it or you see it in the store, Ask to give it a try. Most pilots will be happy to let you, if you ask nicely.

Thank you so much for your fantastic response! I am looking forward to taking the hobby further and will definitely use your advice. I will respond back here after I get a chance to pick a direction and hopefully get some hands on with some of the gear like you suggested. Thank you again!