RC DESK PILOT PYLON CHALLENGE LEADERBOARD

FT RipSlinger Best Times

DH.98 ............... 13.640
Snarls ............... 13.733
JohnRambozo ..... 16.041

FT Spitfire Best Times
rcspaceflight ...... 18.886
JohnRambozo ...... 19.586

I meant to do 3 attempts. I guess you get one do-over if you crash.

I used Gary Gunnerson's P-40 Printed.

Challengers should use the same plane to be fair. I am open to trying again in any other planes you would like.

Best time: 21.044

A video is not required, but a screenshot, at least should be shown with the time.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I just got all of rcspaceflight's FT planes for RCDP. I will try them out and post a new video of one or a few of his planes.

19.586 through the pylons with rcspaceflight's FT Spitfire at full throttle.

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I've been trying, but I can't get below 20 seconds yet (with the FT Spitfire I made).

I'm not sure it would really matter which plane anyone uses. I don't know about you, but I have to use rudder to do a complete lap without missing any pylons. I'd be impressed if anyone could do a lap (no matter how slow) with a bank and yank without missing any pylons.

Even if someone used a very fast plane, it still takes a lot of throttle control and skill to speed up and slow down for the corners. But that's just my two cents that the plane doesn't matter for a record time.

Although I just tried the FT Old Fogey and an RET is a lot easier (but the Old Fogey took 30 seconds).

P.S. To anyone else trying to make or break a record, all keyboards/computers have a "Print Screen" button. Sometimes it's "PRTSC", but if you press that it will take a picture of your screen and save it into the clipboard. Then you can paste it into a photo editing software, like MS Paint, and voila, you have the required screenshot of your time. Which of course it's easy to "photoshop", so there is still a bit of an "honor system" to any "records". :)

P.P.S. I love the idea of this thread.

jayz 84

Very interesting john. I have yet to try rc desk top out. I think it would drive me crazy do to it seem like it pretty slow for a pylon race. Feel like i would be waiting to turn lol but it dose look like a fun challenge. Hey ill challenge you to a real one tho;)

JohnRambozo

I've been trying, but I can't get below 20 seconds yet (with the FT Spitfire I made).

I'm not sure it would really matter which plane anyone uses. I don't know about you, but I have to use rudder to do a complete lap without missing any pylons. I'd be impressed if anyone could do a lap (no matter how slow) with a bank and yank without missing any pylons.

Even if someone used a very fast plane, it still takes a lot of throttle control and skill to speed up and slow down for the corners. But that's just my two cents that the plane doesn't matter for a record time.

Although I just tried the FT Old Fogey and an RET is a lot easier (but the Old Fogey took 30 seconds).

It took a lot of tries and a little bit of rudder to stay between the pylons using your FT Spit. With some other planes they tend to lose a little altitude when on their side, but the Spit just keeps climbing even in a hard bank. It didn't require any throttle control, I just left it wide open the whole time.

I tried your RipSlinger after the Spit and found it was immensely faster with slightly different flight characteristics. Where I had the Spit wide open the entire time, I couldn't make the turns with the RipSlinger until I throttled back to about 30%. This could be a good guage for realism because at 25-30% steady throttle with the RipSlinger I still got a better time than the Spit at full throttle. I came in just over 16 seconds. I will get the video posted so you can see the difference.

I'm going to try to improve my RipSlinger time by using more throttle control in and out of turns.

I think we need to try a Nutball race, too.

P.S. To anyone else trying to make or break a record, all keyboards/computers have a "Print Screen" button. Sometimes it's "PRTSC", but if you press that it will take a picture of your screen and save it into the clipboard. Then you can paste it into a photo editing software, like MS Paint, and voila, you have the required screenshot of your time. Which of course it's easy to "photoshop", so there is still a bit of an "honor system" to any "records". :)

P.P.S. I love the idea of this thread.

Good tip and I'm glad you like the thread.

I'm hoping more people take on the challenge, suggest planes (slow ones, too) and propose new challenges.

Also, for those that are interested in recording/streaming: I'm using a free, open-source game streaming and video capture software called OBS. I stream to twitch.tv (also free) then create a highlight from the original and export to youtube. Let me know if you need help setting it up.

JohnRambozo

Very interesting john. I have yet to try rc desk top out. I think it would drive me crazy do to it seem like it pretty slow for a pylon race. Feel like i would be waiting to turn lol but it dose look like a fun challenge. Hey ill challenge you to a real one tho;)

A real one would be awesome. I have a feeling you'd win in real life.

jayz 84

A real one would be awesome. I have a feeling you'd win in real life.

Ha you never know man. I might take out another pine tree like the last time i used them for pylons. Now that woulda been a cool video to take. You made some nice times on the sim tho

JohnRambozo

Ha you never know man. I might take out another pine tree like the last time i used them for pylons. Now that woulda been a cool video to take. You made some nice times on the sim tho

Really I think it would come down to how well you know your plane and the risks you're willing to take. I like to do some fast low passes, but I get up to a safe height again before I do any maneuvers. Maybe in the spring I'll set up a course and challenge myself.

I say you'd win because you're more accustomed to taking risks with your plane. :)

Last edited:

jayz 84

Really I think it would come down to how well you know your plane and the risks you're willing to take. I like to do some fast low passes, but I get up to a safe height again before I do any maneuvers. Maybe in the spring I'll set up a course and challenge myself.

I say you'd win because you're more accustomed to taking risks with your plane. :)

Ya i tend to take alot. And like to challenge myself as well in all acrobatic maneuver. Its been awhile sence ive really raced any one. Ever sence i moved for this job i mostly have no one to fly with

rcspaceflight

I actually beat your FT Spitfire record, barely. I was just running laps and some how got 18.886 seconds. Every time before and after that was 19 or 20 something. I do have video of it, but I use Screencast-O-Matic which results in poor, stuttery video. Even while I'm running it it lags my display a bit. For some reason my video editing software just freezes when I try to edit the video, so I won't share it.

I didn't realize I had the Ripslinger and Spitfire so different. I really have no idea how accurate I have them, but they're just for fun.

rcspaceflight

Oh, and I find it a lot easier to use the "Chase" camera.

We should have a line of sight / pilot camera challenge. I don't think I could, even with the FT Old Fogey, do a complete lap LOS.

JohnRambozo

Oh, and I find it a lot easier to use the "Chase" camera.

We should have a line of sight / pilot camera challenge. I don't think I could, even with the FT Old Fogey, do a complete lap LOS.

Challenge accepted! Old Fogey LOS Pylon Lap! I'll post a video when/if I ever finish. :)

JohnRambozo

I actually beat your FT Spitfire record, barely. I was just running laps and some how got 18.886 seconds. Every time before and after that was 19 or 20 something. I do have video of it, but I use Screencast-O-Matic which results in poor, stuttery video. Even while I'm running it it lags my display a bit. For some reason my video editing software just freezes when I try to edit the video, so I won't share it.

I didn't realize I had the Ripslinger and Spitfire so different. I really have no idea how accurate I have them, but they're just for fun.

Nice job!

JohnRambozo

Here it is. 16.041 with the rcsf FT RipSlinger at very low throttle.

LOS Pylon video coming soon, for better or worse.

rcspaceflight

I don't know if you caught the article I wrote, but you can add pilot positions. I literally wrote and published the article right after I figured out how to do it.

http://flitetest.com/articles/how-to-add-new-pilot-positions-to-rc-desk-pilot

I added a pilot position at the end of the runway so pylon racing with a hand launch plane is a lot easier.

I think you can also move the gates of the pylon race around using the same method of adding/editing pilot positions.

JohnRambozo

I don't know if you caught the article I wrote, but you can add pilot positions. I literally wrote and published the article right after I figured out how to do it.

http://flitetest.com/articles/how-to-add-new-pilot-positions-to-rc-desk-pilot

I added a pilot position at the end of the runway so pylon racing with a hand launch plane is a lot easier.

I think you can also move the gates of the pylon race around using the same method of adding/editing pilot positions.

That's cool and easy enough to do. Thanks for the article. I hadn't see it before.

Biff45452

I really want to get in on this challenge. Does anyone run rc desk pilot on a macbook? I've managed to get the program to run but I can't get smartpropoplus to see my DX5e. It has somthing to do with the mic port being a hybrid mic/headphone port. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention i'm running Windows 7 in bootcamp.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I managed to get 13.733 using the FT Racer. There is low rudder authority on the Racer so I had to knife edge pretty hard through some of the turns, using elevator to go left or right.
PylonChallenge.jpg

rcspaceflight

I managed to get 13.733 using the FT Racer.

Impressive. I was just trying with a fast little plane I made, even if I managed to finish I don't think it would be that fast.

Maybe I need to make a "Pylon Racer". Something that is extremely fast and agile.