FT Planes for RC Desk Pilot

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I really want to get into this stuff, but I'm not sure whether to get RCDP of the BMI simulator. The website says that BMI includes all the benefits of RCDP, but I'm not sure if that includes downloading user-made planes and the planes built into RCDP. Does anybody have some input for which one I should download?

I think the BMI is just a different version of RCDP. I was in the same predicament when I first downloaded RCDP and I only downloaded RCDP and I didn't get the BMI.

I haven't downloaded the BMI version, but other people have said that they have that version and use the add on planes I've made.

I probably should download the BMI version...

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I think the BMI is just a different version of RCDP. I was in the same predicament when I first downloaded RCDP and I only downloaded RCDP and I didn't get the BMI.

I haven't downloaded the BMI version, but other people have said that they have that version and use the add on planes I've made.

I probably should download the BMI version...
Thank you

ofiesens2

Professional noob
And also, what USB adaptor would you recommend I get if I want to use my DX4e with it? Or can I just use my audio cable that fits perfectly into the trainer jack through the microphone port on my PC?

rcspaceflight

And also, what USB adaptor would you recommend I get if I want to use my DX4e with it? Or can I just use my audio cable that fits perfectly into the trainer jack through the microphone port on my PC?

I believe you can use an audio cable if you download the software to convert the audio into whatever it needs to be converted to. I can't think of the phrasing. lol.

This is what I found: http://www.smartpropoplus.com/dnn/

rcspaceflight

I should stop staying up late and making planes for RCDP. But I like to do so while watching late night television. ... Except I've been working on it since 7pm. But I currently have nothing better to do.

I tried to make a rounded DC-3, but I was having the hardest time getting the cockpit to look right. Sketchup is easy to use, but very limited in exactly what you can do.

So I ended up making a profile type of an RC plane. And since it was obviously an RC foamy plane, I figured I'd just run with the RC look and I stole a few pictures off of the internet and made the battery look real by using an actual photo of a battery. Same with the Rx. (Not to mention the picture I stole for the fuselage.)

Also, since I was going for the RC look, I decided to add servos and a couple of ESCs for the two motors. Which I loosely modeled the motors off of a Turnigy motor. Which is why they're orangish. Instead of just the props spinning, which I actually 3D modeled props for this plane, I have the motors spin to make it more realistic. I even made the servo arms move along with the appropriate control surface.

So, lots of detail.

I quickly changed a few of the flying characteristics. But I want to spend more time on that before I share the plane, but I thought I would show off some pictures.

Here you can see some of the servos, the ESCs, the Rx, and the motors.
ScreenHunter_240 Jan. 30 23.45.jpg

ScreenHunter_241 Jan. 30 23.45.jpg

Here is the Zippy battery. :)
ScreenHunter_242 Jan. 30 23.45.jpg

ScreenHunter_243 Jan. 30 23.45.jpg

ScreenHunter_243 Jan. 30 23.46.jpg

ScreenHunter_244 Jan. 30 23.46.jpg

ScreenHunter_244 Jan. 30 23.47.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Nice! The first foamy I ever sort of flew was a profile DC-3 powered by 2 Speed 400 motors. It thought it was a pylon racer for all of 30 sec.

rcspaceflight

Profile DC-3

Profile DC-3: View attachment Profile DC3.zip

I guess I could share the fun I've been having flying this plane around in RCDP.

Honestly I didn't play around with the flying characteristics very much. I did some quick, obvious changes and then I liked the way it was so I just kept flying it around. There are probably a few changes that could be made, but I like the feel of it. So I just kept it.

I should probably stop keeping planes so close to default settings.

And, as always, feel free to change the flying characteristics.

I should probably get back to FT planes. The last thing I can think to make is a P-38. I seen in a different forum that someone started making one a couple years ago, but he never finished it. How can there not be a P-38 for RCDP? I think another profile style plane would be easy, and I thought about making a profile P-38 in real life, but I'd rather do a more realistic 3D model. But probably after the FT planes.

I'm not sure if or when I'll share the MIG-8.

rcspaceflight

Uh oh. There's a hole in my plane. :( I doubt I'd be able to fix it so... There's going to be a hole in this one.

glitch.jpg

rcspaceflight

FT 3D

FT 3D: View attachment FT 3D.zip

I thought the flying characteristics would have taken longer to get set right. It could probably use some more tweaking, especially the elevator. But I really couldn't quite get it better and I can't fly 3D. So there is only so much I can actually do to get it "perfect". Since I can't test out the moves it's supposed to be able to do.

I 3D modeled the VGs onto the wings, but those don't actually do anything except for looks. lol. I'm sure the real FT 3D hovers better than the sim version.

I also did working servos again. Just because. Although, the plane is mostly white so you can't see the servo arms...
I also actually added control horns for a more detailed, realistic look.

I did the color scheme based off of the FT 3D in the Version 2 episode. And the picture from the post right before this one is of the FT 3D's rudder. It still has that hole in it. Nothing I can do about it except delete the graphic and I don't want to do that.

Let me know if I should change anything on the FT 3D. You don't have to tell me specifics to the settings. Just stuff like "more power" or "less lift" or whatever.

rcspaceflight

MIG 8

MIG 8: View attachment MIG 8.zip

I was flying this again and even though I didn't change anything I decided I could share it. It was just a quickly put together plane, just like the Bird Dog.

I ended up making changes to the Profile DC-3 because I didn't like how much rudder it had. Otherwise I'm happy with that and I think the Bird Dog and MIG 8 are good enough.

They're just for something different. Something that looks different, and something that flies different. (Compared to anything else available for RCDP.)

I'm unsure of the FT 3D. It seems good, but I can't tell if any changes are needed. So it's going to stay the same unless someone can find something that should change with it.

rcspaceflight

B-29

B-29: View attachment B29.zip

ScreenHunter_246 Feb. 05 12.32.jpg

It doesn't seem like there are any four engine planes for RC Desk Pilot and I don't think there are many for any RC flight simulator. So I made one. As much as I love planes and the history of them, I don't know much about many of the bombers. Because the B-29 is probably the one I know the most about, I decided to make one.

I have retracts on it but I didn't add flaps. After re-watching this episode of Flite Test, I don't feel bad about not adding flaps because Mac Hodges didn't add flaps to his. (He said he never used it on a prior version because of the drag produced by all four, four bladed props. Which I added some more drag to the flying characteristics to simulate that.)

I also see that FlyingMonkey is in that episode in place of Josh Scott.

Anyways, I think I have the flying characteristics somewhere between Mac Hodges' B-29 and a real one. But closer to an RC one because that's what it's supposed to be. (I guess I could have just said it's a toned down version of Mac Hodges.)

rcspaceflight

Okay, a quick update.

I was going to take another break from making RCDP planes, but I decided to try and catch up on the FT PodCasts, and I might as well do something while listening. Besides, listening to those just makes you want to build something.

According to the last FT video, the Bloody Wonder is going to be a speed build kit soon so I won't be trying to make that for RCDP until after the new build video/re-release/updated version.

I know in the poll thread I started I asked if people want me to make David's Viggen, but since it's going to be a foam board plane soon, I'm going to wait until that's released and I'll do the foam board version for RCDP, not the foam core version. (Because the foam board version would be easier to model and more people are going to build that than the foam core.)

Ignoring planes that are not a speed build kit, that just leaves:

- FT Duster

- FT Racer

- FT Simple Soarer

- FT Raptor F-22

- FT Cruiser

So those are going to be my main focus and I probably won't do another article with the "final versions" until I'm done with all of those. Then I may start doing some of the scratch build planes that aren't speed build kits. I doubt Flite Test will ever make the Fowl Flyer a speed build kit because it honestly doesn't seem like that great of a plane. But I may still end up making it for RCDP. It did get one vote in the poll and only three or four people voted.

I may also stop making RCDP planes after those "last" five. We'll see. Or at least only make them as they're released type of thing, ignoring any other FT or scratch built plane covered by a FT episode.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I'll probably start a new thread soon covering how to make planes for RCDP. It would be great as an article, but I like the openness of a thread and people can ask questions for clarity more easily. Plus the thread will be loosely done once in a while. Each post will cover one aspect type of thing.

rcspaceflight

FT Simple Soarer

FT SS: View attachment FT SS.zip

I think I got it just about right.

I forget what it's called, I know there's a phrase for it, but the glider still gains speed causing the nose to go up and then loses speed and drops back down. However, it doesn't do it very badly and it's easy to get out of. I'm not sure if the real one is the same way. I mean of course any glider can get into that roller coaster. Any plane technically can when the engine is off. I just mean I don't know if I have it set to get out of it as easily as the real one.

I have both a motorized and pure glider version. The pure glider version can be towed and both have a variometer. Which I find kind of annoying, but it's a nice feature and you can turn off the sound in the settings for RCDP. Or you could edit the airplanes to not have it. But the menu setting is easier to change.

rcspaceflight

In a way I'm sad that the Viggen video will be released tomorrow. I see on Facebook Flite Test asked if we're ready and I was thinking "No". I've been working on hammering threw those last few FT planes that are currently speed build kits. And probably by the time I'm all done with those, the Viggen would have already been out for a few days.

Oh well. What's one more plane?

I was feeling uninspired for the FT F22's color scheme, but I think it actually looks great just as a solid gray.
ScreenHunter_267 Feb. 09 18.05.jpg

All I actually have left to 3D model is the FT Cruiser. (The Racer/Ripslinger and Duster/Dusty is done, I'm just still unsure of the non Disney versions color schemes.)

rcspaceflight

FT F22

FT F-22: View attachment FT F22.zip

I think and hope I have the F-22 Raptor done. I left the throws high on it because that's supposed to be the fun of it. Hopefully that doesn't discourage any one from making one.

The elevator might be a bit off, but it's the best I can get it. Also, maybe a little overpowered. But that's the fun of it, too.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
RCSpaceFlight,
How long have you been using SketchUp? I am just blown away by the quality of your work!

rcspaceflight

RCSpaceFlight,
How long have you been using SketchUp? I am just blown away by the quality of your work!

I think only 2 months. However, I'm currently unemployed so I have A LOT of free time. So, ... it's been a lot of hours.

It's really not that hard to make the FT planes using Sketchup. I import a JPEG of the plans, and then draw out every piece on top of the plans. I literally trace them out. Then I pull up the pieces to the proper, scale, thickness. Then move and rotate them around to the correct places. I "cheat" with some pieces like the fuselage for the FT F22. I just traced one side of the fuselage and then pulled the entire thing to the proper, scale, thickness. (Instead of making two sides, a top, and a bottom.)

Don't get me wrong, it does take some skill. And it definitely takes time. And I have gotten better at the software with all of the planes I've made. But it's a skill that I think anyone could learn with some practice.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Awesome! Thanks. I see a time limit on the free version of SketchUp. What happens when that time runs out?