Reducing weight by cutting away ?

Bigeard

Hello All ,
Im considering building the FT Corsair master series and have been trying to gather as much information on various aspects of the build , painting etc before going ahead . As it comes without any landing gear , rear tail wheel etc (which I personally prefer) , I would kindly seek professional advice regarding the fixing of this extra modification and as such I am aware of the extra weight involved in this kind of mod . First of all if at all possible this I believe should be done in the actual building stages and in such a way as to minimise the landing gear being ripped off during a bad landing so with this in mind is is possible to take away some of the frame work to fit a landing gear bracket without compromising the strength of the structure itself and at the same time reducing a little of the weight ? I also realise that the centre of gravity would be affected so wuld there be enough room to maybe move the battery back to counteract this ?
Any advice or views regarding this will be appreciated . Also regarding landing gear are there spring loaded ones bought commercially that could do the job or would I have to modify my own ? Any other photos , threads would be great . If this aint possible , I think I would still settle for the old belly landing.
M

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
if i was you i would keep it simple and light. the MS Corsair is a great flyer but like many of John's first designs a bit more of artwork than mechanical function.

you could easily add balsa to reinforce mounting points. i would make sure the main gear work with the CG of the plane so you are not having to make to many adjustments to get it to balance. i would also highly advise reinforcing the servo mounts for the tail, they are just glued to a single layer of foam board and easily ripped out if not careful. you should have plenty of battery room to move things around but once again, don't go too heavy because its not the best design for supporting a massive battery. try not to go above a 3S-2200.

good luck,

me :cool: