Help! Repair around servo hole

Jason_AZ

Hello,
My son and I completed our first build, the Flite Test A-10. We need to replace some of the servos. As I read in the forum, we used IPA to soften the hot glue holding the servos in. A sizeable (looks sizeable to me) amount of the foam core mounting tab came out along with the servo.

My question is, is there enough meat left here to put in a new servo and secure it with hot glue, or do I need to somehow reinforce/build up the foam core around the hole for the servo? It looks pretty thin to me, as I can see the paper on the opposite side of the foam. If I do need to build up, is there a clever way, or a standard practice for doing so?

I can't really get to the inside of the fuselage to install a backing plate, and I may need to do the same with the wing servo holes.

Thank you for your assistance.
- Jason

Attachments

• 20220317_054202.jpg
    20220317_054202.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Piotrsko

Master member
Couple of 1/4 x1/2 pieces of wood glued where the servo tabs are and use screws for attaching.

However, just a bigger glob of glue would work

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... is there a clever way, or a standard practice for doing so?...
I cutout a chunk of fb larger than the servo, the exact size is not critical, just give yourself some room. Make the chunk about 1/2 inch of overlap on each side. Place the chunk over the servo hole and trace around it. Now cut out the foam to fit the chunk, then hot glue the chunk in. A simple but joint is all that is necessary. Cut the servo hole and install.

FYI: the same procedure works to fix a hole in drywall. Cut a chunk of drywall to cover the hole, place the chunk over the hole & trace around it, cut out the busted drywall, mud in the new chunk.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was going to suggest inserting some 1/16" plywood and mount the servo onto that. But like @Merv 's option better it's an easier and faster solution

Jason_AZ

Thank you all for the good ideas. I had been meaning to learn to use the 3D printer at work and thought this would be a good opportunity. Thus, I printed out the servo trays tamuct01pointed me to.

Attachments

• servo tray.jpg
    servo tray.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

randyrls

Randy
Jason; I often have to replace or salvage servos. I use a small heat stick like this one. It softens the glue and it is just a small matter of prying the servo loose with a small putty knife. If you use the small nozzle you will not damage the servos and it can be reused. The heat stick can be used on heat-shrink tubing, and to open sections of a plane for repairs or fixing a problem. I often have problems with servo linkages and getting them the correct length.

Hello,
My son and I completed our first build, the Flite Test A-10. We need to replace some of the servos. As I read in the forum, we used IPA to soften the hot glue holding the servos in. A sizeable (looks sizeable to me) amount of the foam core mounting tab came out along with the servo.

Thank you all for the good ideas. I had been meaning to learn to use the 3D printer at work and thought this would be a good opportunity. Thus, I printed out the servo trays tamuct01pointed me to.
Looks good.
In the future you'll find that a sharp hobby blade will cut through the hot glue just under the mounting flange on the servo. You can get the servo to come away clean. Once it's free you can use alcohol and a blade to clean up the glue from the servo.

To mount my servos I only use a good drop of hot glue under each flange. I've found that's plenty to hold it firm, and then it's easier to remove when I want to.

skymaster

Elite member
Very nice like Monte. C said but if you could do that servo holder i would suggest that you make it wider so that it covers the hole.