Repair/Replace broken Diversity Antennas

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Did you know that most receivers with diversity antennas have easily replaced antennas? This is true for Spektrum, LemonRX, FrSky and probably many others and can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new RX. So when your "landing" results in this:
20170724_164132.jpg

Pop it open and check to see if your RX has these easily replaced antennas

20170724_164422b.jpg

I carry a few spares of the Spektrum and LemonRX antennas. They have different connectors on them. But some of the Spektrum and FrSky antennas have the same connectors and lengths which enabled me to get my buddy back in the air after he lost his at the field.

Some sources for replacements:
FrSky Parts at RMRC
LemonRX direct replacement
Spektrum RX anennas from amain hobbies

Cheers!
LitterBug

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
I use plastic tubing on nearly all antennas that exit a case with an embossment. It works great!

rx-rear.jpg

My wife buys liquid handsoap from Bath & Body Works and the pickup tube in the bottle is the perfect size! :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That works really good on my planks, but even with such protection on a tricopter/quad, the antennas can end up in the props and get chopped and/or ripped out. Always good to have spares... :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been there, done that, still borked em! You aren't "landing" hard enough, or hitting trees and gates.....

Cheers!
LitterBug

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Both you two do nice work. I would be interested in seeing more pix of your aircraft.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Both you two do nice work. I would be interested in seeing more pix of your aircraft.

Yeah, I do post quite a bit of pictures in the appropriate threads. Figured this info would be good for those who may have been unfortunate to have run into a situation where antennas were chopped, defective, or pulled out. Prevention is all good and fine and I'm all for it. But unfortunately, not every scenario is avoidable so I posted the links to help others who may have run into similar fate.

Example:
I had a maiden that had the quad not have been rolled 90 degrees to the right when impacting a branch, the camera would not have taken out the RX antennas, VTX, fc, ETC... when it got shoved back.
KriegerDOH.jpg

Dead FC with missing components, broken F4 cpu pins, etc...
FC-DOH.jpg

I have since added additional protection to the frame to box in the Video Camera to prevent it from getting shoved back into the rest of the electronics.

Spektrum SPM4648 = $25.
Two replacement antennas = 2x $2 = $4.

Which is cheaper? :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have learned to mount my antennas on my quads using a zip tie heat shrunk on one of the read corner posts where I run one of the diversity antennas where the protected shielding is only a mm or two above the carbon then heat shrink that to the zip tie. Then repeat the same set up straight out the rear of either the top or lower plate depending how motors are mounted and I have since then never damaged one no matter how violent my crashes. I have yet to have a fail safe in this configuration as well.

I think I am one of the lucky pilots as to what I reliable break in crashes. I kill FPV antennas at least 10 or more a year on average as well as the mandatory prop sacrifices to the Gods of flight that come with our hobby. I am sure that will change now that I am making lighter race quads and not my flying tank Alien frame though.