Replacement wing question

tomlogan1

Elite member
I am replacing the wing on an existing plane. The original wing has a 37 inch wingspan with a 5 inch chord. The new wing which will handle two motors. The wingspan is 48 inches with an 8 inch chord.

My question is can I use the original fuselage with the much larger wing area?

Thank you.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The new wing is going to have twice the area of the old wing, that might be a bit much. But it's hard to tell with the information given.
A good flying plane in that size range will have a wing loading in the range of 10-15 Oz per square foot of wing area. I have had planes that were difficult to land due to the wing being too large. As I recall, the wing loading was around 7 Oz per sqft. I build a smaller wing & it flew great.

The bottom line, the plane will fly with the larger wing but may be challenging to land.

L Edge

Master member
I am replacing the wing on an existing plane. The original wing has a 37 inch wingspan with a 5 inch chord. The new wing which will handle two motors. The wingspan is 48 inches with an 8 inch chord.

My question is can I use the original fuselage with the much larger wing area?

Thank you.

With the two motors, larger wing, battery , the old wing saddle may have to be reshaped and moved fwd or aft to get the CG rage of 25 to 30% of the wing. Also, you can play with the incidence of the wing to a small amount change the lift and stability of the plane. Sounds like a fun project. Now put a shuttle or a small balsa glider on it and release it in the air for a flydown. That's fun.