Restoring a ZMR250

Hello FliteTest Community,

Recently, I bought a quad in need of some TLC on RCGroups. The original owner said they hadn't flown it in a while as they liked their other quads more and just wanted to get it out of the way. I bought it to get my friend into the hobby. I'm going to use this thread to track my progress throughout the restoration.

Here's what came I got:

• 4x Emax 2204 2300kv motors
  • 4x RHD 12A SimonK ESCs (they aren't the best but from what I've read the motors only pull 11.5 amps so they should work)
  • AfroNaze FC (would rather have an F3, but F1 will fill his needs)
  • Basic PDB (replacing with a PDB with 5v and 12v regs)
  • Few LED strips
  • Walker Devo 7 Tx with compatible RX
  • Few 1400mah 3s and 4s batteries
  • Bunch of 5" props

Original Quad.jpg

Today, I completely disassembled the quad, and man am I happy I did. Every single solder joint was bad, most gave way as soon as I removed the heat shrink. I also plugged in the Naze and upgraded it to an old version of cleanflight and flashed it with beta flight 3.1.2, or was it 3.1.3, I can't remember. Whatever the current version of beta flight is. I then attempted to see what was actually on the ESCs, so I tried going into BLHeli Suite. It connected, but they aren't running BLHeli, though it gave me an options to flash so I am hopeful. Just need to figure out which version to flash them with.

20170203_161448.jpg

**Question**
When. Programming the ESCs with BLHeli, what will happen if I flash them with the wrong ESC firmware. I didn't see an option for RHD 12A escs, but there were a few others. Will it damage the ESC if I choose the wrong firmware and flash it? If so, how do I know which one I should choose?

Anyways, thats as far as I got today. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on it more this weekend in between homework and the Superbowl!

Nathan

Last edited:
So, after a bit of procrastinating and a bunch of school work, I hav actually done some stuf related t this quad.

I decided that the 12A ESCs just wouldn't do on the quad, especially since they were SimonK, not BLHeli. I went with the Racerstar 20A lite ESCs for affordability, and I have a friend who flies them and they have been great for him! I also went and ordered an F3 flight controller over the older AfroNaze it came with. That way I can run DShot.

Will post more when those parts come in and I start putting the craft together!

Nathan