• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Servo Size

Hi, I’ve just found your site and am going to build one of the speed build Spitfires.
your power pack C uses 9 g servos with a torque of 21 oz/in
i have some 7.5 g servos in my spares box, which are the same size, but only have a torque of 16 oz/in.
Will these be ok or should I buy some 9g servos with the extra torque
Thanks
Brian

mrjdstewart

which spitfire? the old one or the masters series? the old one you will probably be fine, the new one i would get the larger servos due to the increased size and weight.

good luck,

me :cool:

It’s the old one with the swop able power pack although I think I’ll build it without thar being removable. I’ll go for the removable wing though. Is there a build log or forum from anyone whose build it with a fixed motor radio etc

You should be able to find the MG90 (metal gear 9 gram servos) for about $2 each shipped from china if you order 4 or 8 units at a time. Since free shipping from china often takes 6 weeks (sometimes longer), I'd use the servos you have for now, and have the MG90's on their way for the next build.

Have you had any quality issues with the $2 servos from China. I assume they dont have any brand name on them or are there ‘local‘ makes to look out for

Have you had any quality issues with the $2 servos from China. I assume they dont have any brand name on them or are there ‘local‘ makes to look out for
I've never had a problem with these $2 servos. They center well, and MG stands for metal gear which hold up a lot better than the plastic gear ones. I have these on pretty much everything I build that is big enough to use a 9g servo. Combat planes, large 60+ inch wingspan planes, and I've never had one fail on me except for wires that got ripped out or cut in combat/crashes.

I just looked at one and they are model MG90S (not previously stated mg90). They have a purple color label. Slightly higher than $2 currently on banggood, but they go on sale often. You may also be able to find a deal now if you search on aliexpress.
https://www.banggood.com/4-X-MG90S-...ne-RC-Helicopter-Car-Boat-Model-p-961967.html