Sim for OSX?

EEAA

It appears that the two leading sims (RealFlight and Phoenix) are Windows-only.

2 Questions:
1) Are there any native OSX simulators out there?
2) Have any of you had any luck running RealFlight or Phoenix on a Windows VM (VirtualBox, Parallels, etc.) on top of OSX?

Thanks!

rockets4kids

Older versions of Aerofly simply ran under Wine on the Mac. I don't know about the more recent ones.

Older versions of RealFlight and Phoenix did not run in virtual machines. I don't know about the more recent versions here either.

Unless things have changed recently, BootCamp is unfortunately your only solution if you want a first-class sim on a Mac.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I guess I just find limited use for a higher fidelity simulator, because no matter how good the physics engine, modelling, and the controller interface is, it's still not going to translate to the real-world exactly.

I use a simulator mostly for the following:
* Get a rough idea of the handling characteristics of a particular airframe - flying wing vs three channel high wing trainer vs 4 channel warbird vs gliders, etc. I think even that basic web based one approximates those pretty well.
* Get used to the orientation differences between tail in vs nose in flight, inverted, etc.

I do run Phoenix, in a virtual machine running on linux machine running the native kvm virtualization features of linux, where I setup a Windows 7 guest. It runs ok, but I can't get full graphics support and there's lag/stutter.

With Phoenix, the benefit of having that with a TX interface is that I can also experiment with different TX configurations to see how it would vary with the same plane. So, I'm able to play around with spoilerons, differential, etc before I actually launch my plane.

If that's what you're going after, then yeah, I would go with a full on sim... otherwise, I learned to fly with a free sim (Absolute RC Simulator) I downloaded to my Android tablet and used the touch-screen "virtual sticks" to fly. I only bought the Phoenix software with the interface from a friend who decided to switch to RealFlight, and sold it to me for $20.

Aronnax

crrcsim works under OSX. I use it under Linux.

It works ok. The gui is a bit rough. It supports multiple ways to connect your radio. I bought a cheap usb connector from ebay and use my Futaba with it.

As I've read the gilder simulation seems to be good. Which might be the reason why there aren't that many motor models.
Making own models seems to be a bit tricky because you have to use a separate program which is in fact a wind tunnel simulation.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/crrcsim/

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I actually use X-Plane. You'd probably have to build your own model of whatever you want to fly, but you can use any USB-based controller. It does come with a couple basic RC-scale aircraft, and I'm sure there are plenty of user-created models on X-Plane.org

Mytchak

KG5CZA
I use Realflight 7 under Parallels 9. Works really well but my machine is a hefty one:
Mac Pro 2013
6 Core 2.5 Ghz
32 Gb of Ram
Dual D500 GPUs

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I have aerofly RC7 and it works great, but I have to stay on minimum settings for my macbook to handle it well. It has tons of models and all of them are very different. I don't know what the other colors do, but I got the yellow USB adapter. For spectrum radios, You need a Y cable and a servo lead adapter-thing.