Small after-school club

NCC1701

I actually made, with my friend, a RC club in my Junior High school. We have about eight kids, which isn't too bad. It is pretty sad, because when a new person comes, they usually leave after getting real bored. We don't have many helicopters or planes, because everyone, except my other three friends, aren't really into RC. They would love to get into the expensive stuff, but they can't unfortunately. The only small enough heli and airplane I can really fly inside the caff and the gym is the Mighty Mini S and Blade 130X, which of course I can't let other people fly, so they get bored watching. My three friends just fly the Nano QXs and Hubsan X4, which they do let other people fly, sometimes. Pretty much this club runs off of RealFlight 7.5, and cheap $20 helis which they love. Yeah, hopefully it will turn out good.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Everyone starts somewhere! Kudos to you for getting something started.

The swappables are cheap, replacable, and fun to build, so on weather favorable days those are an option. On the days where you are limited to the gym, might I suggest leaving the sticks at home and goi g free flight? The AMA racer kits are cheap, easy to build and oh so much fun. There are the dimestore balsa and rubberband kits too which are only a couple bucks each..

Also, if there isnt enough interest at the school, don't give up. Maybe check with the local community center about expanding the club past the school walls.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Keep it up!

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Also, do you have the ability to buddy box anything? It's easier to let others fly your stuff if you can take the helm when things go south.

Miracle Air

I'm a teacher. We get kids interested by having them fly the Syma X1 quadcopter. $30 on Amazon, and they're tough. Anybody who plays Xbox (what are the odds you'll find an Xbox player in a junior high?) can fly one with some authority after just a few minutes. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Channel-...e=UTF8&qid=1426440667&sr=8-1&keywords=syma+x1

I always remind newbies that they need to fly conservatively. We only have a few X1's and everybody shares them. If you want to hot dog it you need to pony up $30 and get your own.

Check out our club's article "Instant Aviation Club" to see them in action:

http://flitetest.com/articles/syma-x1-aviatiion-club-in-a-box

Good for you for doing this! I wish I had that sort of initiative when I was your age! :cool:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'd check with a school advisor and see if they could help you find someone that would teach you grant writing. There is "free" money out there, you just need to know how to find it. In addition to that, grant writing is a very valuable skill that if you're able to do it well, it can help you get a job after school.