soft serial, telemetry knock out arm mode

irekkin

i'm using an x4rsb, naze32 rev 6, running triflight. I installed the x4r to get the 16 channels and sbus. I needed the extra channels to do the in-flight pid adjustment. everything works like a charm until I turn on soft serial and telemetry. when I save and re-boot it kills some of the options in modes, arm being the main one. I have to go back and disable softserial and telemetry and start over. I've done this three times with the same out come. I don't need the telemetry right now but it would be nice to have. has anyone had this problem?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Unfortunatley The F1 based Naze32 boards are running out of space and speed. Turn everything on and it demands too much . . . and the firmware starts turning other things off to prevent loosing it all together.

If you wanted to, you could disable the accelerometer and you'd have a bit more processing headroom for the soft-serial . . . for the cost of loosing Angle/Horizon modes :(

I'm all for fly what you have . . . but it sounds like you'll want a newer board soon. At this point, the SPF3 is a solid board to move to.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Another option... though it may not be such a great option. I was having problems on a quad powered by a naze32 (well, a flip32) with CF 1.14.2 (I believe triflight is based off 1.13) and softserial telemetry.

I switched to betaflight, and it solved my problems. CPU usage also went down even with softserial telemetry. One nice bonus is that on betaflight, they solved the issue with the half duplex telemetry serial port, and you don't have to jump the RX/TX pins, which makes it a bit cleaner.

Not a great option if you want to use triflight, unless you want to wait for the new version of triflight that will be based off betaflight. Unfortunately, it appears lauka is having problems squeezing the code into all targets. Not sure if naze32 is one of the problem ones: https://rcexplorer.se/forums/topic/...-for-triflight-development/page/2/#post-36953

I just setup my electrohub tricopter with a SPF3 running betaflight, and while it's not as easy to setup as with triflight, it's not impossible. Just a bit more fiddly with setting the servo limits, and there's no servo feedback code/support.

If you do upgrade to a SPF3 (probably about a $15-20 upgrade) you can stop fiddling with softserial and use a real hardware uart for telemetry and sbus.

Last edited:

irekkin

dan and mak, thanks a lot. really good to know whats going on. I was planning to move up to an f3 type board. in fact I have an rcexplorer fcf3 along with the pdb. also have the 4 wire servo and new esc's. my idea was to get on the same page as rcexplorer and tri-flight ( at least electronics wise ) and have something that is proven with plenty of info to go to. I really want the in-flight tune option and i'll need the horizon mode to start with so it sounds like now is as good a time as any to switch everything out.