FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SP0NZ submitted a new resource:

SP0NZ STD Control Horn - FT Style Standard Size Control Horn

SP0NZ STD Control Horn
View attachment 115497

This control horn is designed to work with most standard size Flite Test foam board RC model aircraft. The three push rod holes work with standard Flite Test push rods (.039) or can be drilled for use with E/Z connectors. I increased the thickness from the standard FT plywood control horns (.063) to 2 mm (.079) for a little added strength.

Settings:
My Printer: Anet...​

Read more about this resource...

Clapaucius

The thing that bothers me about printing these in PLA - am I risking to have them melting come warm weather? My white(!) 3DLabprint Pyorremyrsky wing got all soft and soggy just after ~10minutes in Masshachusetts sun last August, luckily this did happen while I was still glueing it together and I just reprinted warped parts. I imagine regular PLA horns will not do much better? I printed horns that came with mini Nemesis using PETG, hope they will fare better than PLA.

OliverW

Legendary member
The thing that bothers me about printing these in PLA - am I risking to have them melting come warm weather? My white(!) 3DLabprint Pyorremyrsky wing got all soft and soggy just after ~10minutes in Masshachusetts sun last August, luckily this did happen while I was still glueing it together and I just reprinted warped parts. I imagine regular PLA horns will not do much better? I printed horns that came with mini Nemesis using PETG, hope they will fare better than PLA.
PLA horns won't have an issue. The issue with your warped parts is that they're so thin

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
PLA horns won't have an issue. The issue with your warped parts is that they're so thin
Ditto what @SquirrelTail said. Thin wall prints (i.e. 3D printed planes from 3DLabPrint, Eclipson, etc.) in PLA are highly susceptible to warping from heat do to the ultra thin walls of the structure. I've been using PLA and PLA+ control horns and firewalls for years and have had zero issues with any failing from heat. The hot glue usually lets loose before the plastic starts to soften.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ditto what @SquirrelTail said. Thin wall prints (i.e. 3D printed planes from 3DLabPrint, Eclipson, etc.) in PLA are highly susceptible to warping from heat do to the ultra thin walls of the structure. I've been using PLA and PLA+ control horns and firewalls for years and have had zero issues with any failing from heat. The hot glue usually lets loose before the plastic starts to soften.

I've had a few PLA control horns on Versa Wings that have warped, but they sat in the car in an unseasonably warm Southern California summer. I not only had the control horns warp, but the 3D printed motor mounts as well as the hot glue letting go. This is the price I pay for thinking they'd hold up in a sealed car in 101 degree heat at our flying field, with no air circulation :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Clapaucius

The summer is coming and I will get to prove this in practice. Older 3dlabprint planes use special pyramidal inserts yo hold pieces of wings and fuselage parts together and I had those curl in the sun withing minutes just waiting to be glued in and, frankly, see no reason why PLA horns will do any better. But then, I have zero experience with using 3d printed parts on Flitetest planes.