Stability problems - Rotor Bones Quad

CHSFlite

I've been getting ever so close to getting my tri (now Quad) in the air for more than 10 seconds...controlled. I switched props and went from an 8inch 4.5 to an 8inch 3.8 and that made a huge difference and there is a lot less vibration.

My issue with the quad and the same as tri, is getting the copter to hover and stay pointed in one directions without a lot of drift and movement. My quad wants to rotate and also wants to drift very hard to the side and backwards (video below). Here's whats I've done:

I've reset the KK2.1 (v1.6)
Leveled the KK2 board on a perfectly flat surface, via a level and ran the ACC Calibration
Self Level is on

PI Editor (Aileron / Elevator)
PGain 30
PLimit 100
IGain 0
ILimit 20

PI Editor (rudder)
PGain 50
PLimit 20
IGain 0
ILimit 10

Self Leveling
PGain 70
PLimit 20

The props are balanced I'm detecting zero vibration. I need some help with what to trouble shoot next

ikem

looks like yaw is a little off. check trim/sum-trims and see if your sticks are really centered (1500)

CHSFlite

To correct the yaw should I adjust the sub trims (rudder) on my tX (Dx6i) or should I adjust the rudder setting on the KK2 board?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
CHS,

First off, If your motors are all aligned with each other, you need to look into your receiver test and make sure it's 0 on yaw. otherwise, you need to check all the props are the correct rotation and none of them are flipped (one prop upside down would have to spin harder to create enough lift, and therefore more torque turning the frame).

Second, when you get a chance, move on from the kk2.1's 1.6. The version 1.6 was excellent on the kk2.0 board, but the ported version for the kk2.1 it's missing critical fixes for hardware mistakes that HK left in . . . and many of them are still there in the KK2.1.5 board. Check out Steveis's "1.12S1Beginner" for a stable ROM with simple configuration or his "KK2.1 V1.15S1" for a more advanced setup.

CHSFlite

I made some changes to the KK2 board and the quad is now locked in and flying great. Below are the setting that seem to work...although I have now reduced the self leveling to make the quad more responsive. To balance the quad and reduce drift I experimented "ACC calibrating" the quad with different sides either raised or lowered. This seems to work although I feel like there has got to be a better way to do this (trims or sub trims???) So after 2 months of building this thing from scratch, I'm finally up an flying and it's a blast!

My new settings.
PI Editor (Aileron / Elevator)
PGain 70
PLimit 50
IGain 40
ILimit 20

PI Editor (rudder)
PGain 75
PLimit 40
IGain 20
ILimit 10

Self Leveling (this worked but it wasn't responsive enough for me)
PGain 75
PLimit 40

*My settings came from Dennis Baldwin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W7PiV6qvWc