I am new at the tricpoter scene and I have problems flying my RCExplorer design

nadaslaci666

Hi Guys and Girls

I've recently built one tricopter folowing almost every suggestion that David said on his video "Tricopter Build". I did some changes due to some financial concerns and Hobbyking's stock.
I am using KK2.1 (totaly original), DT750 motors, 11X4.7 props (all the same direction), Turnigy AE-25A ESC (totaly original), and a diferent servo because the suggested one broke it's one plastic gear on the second run. Now I am using a standard servo, not so fancy but works so far, the tricopter does not spin.

But

When I "try" to fly it I can't really. When I give it throttle input it shoots up and If I decrease the throttle or pull it down completly, it just keeps on climbing, or staying on altitude until one of the motors stops, then it falls, and If I am lucky and I am distant enough from the ground, I can give it some power to manage it, but it really not a solution. I am new to this part of the hobby, I do not want to do tricks or wizz around with my tricopter, I only want to hover and gently fly around on a field, when it is not windy. Maybe I want to put some FPV gear on it, but until I can't get away whitout breaking an arm or a prop, I won't risk my equipment.

I am new to the KK2.1 board, and I think I have problems with it's settings, so If you cold help me out with some suggestions about what values should I change I would be pleased.

I know that I sould have refreshed my ESC-s or buy different ones, and maybe refresh the KK board also but I do not have the equipment or the money to do so. And how I said I do not want to do crazy things with it so I am not offended if it is not a speed daemon or a trick machine.

Thank you for your help

My values in the KK 2.1

-PI Editor
Roll: PGain:115, PLimit:100, IGain:25, ILimit:20
Pitch: PG:115, PL:100, IG:25, IL:25
Yaw: PG: 45, PI:20, IG: 50, IL:10

-Mode
Self Level : Aux
Link Roll pitch: Yes
AUTO Disarm: Yes
CPPM Enabled: No

-Stick Scaling
Roll:30
Pitch:30
Yaw:30
Throttle:15 but I does crazy stuff on 4 also

Misc. Settings
Min. Throttle 20 (I have a Turnigy 9X)
Height Dampening: 0
Height Limit: 30
Servo Filter: 80

Chanel: 1 2 3 4
Throttle: 100 100 100 0
Aileron: -87 87 0 0
Elevator 50 50 -100 -100
Rudder: 0 -1 0 54

IF you need any more information please tell me I will upload it .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think it might be the KK2.1 firmware. I can't remember now if it was Pgerts or Tritium but one of them said the stock firmware was rubbish and had to be updated before flight was possible.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Hi nadaslaci,

Welcome. :)

I have pretty much an exact replica of David's tricopter.

While you may have any number of physical issues (you only provided little else other than the board's settings), I think you have your P and I setting way too high. My tri flies very well and I use;

P Gain 85
P Limit 35
I Gain 25
I Limit 20

Now, I'm not suggesting you use my settings, merely to suggest yours may be much too high for a tri the size as 'ours'.

Your servo filter setting looks ok, as well as everything else. You didn't list your auto-level settings. Mine are;

P Gain 75-ish (depending on how tight of an area I'm in)
I Limit 35-ish

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Would P gain cause motors to stop like nadaslaci666 describes? I agree they are much higher than I'd expect, but based on KK2 experience, I wouldn't think it would be that drastic. I haven't done anything with the KK2.1 so maybe it's something new with the board?

nadaslaci666

The engine stops are happening after I pull back the throttle but not in the same time, I mean I pull it back right after it shoots up and it does not starts to lose altitude and in a moment maybe 10 second later one of the motors stop. it feels like I could only gain altitude but not loosing it while I give any throttle. I have two things that can be wrong, ( I will try your settings Cyberdactyl and thank you) but I think the problem is at the hight dampening or mybe at the stick scaling throttle which is only 5 but when I pumped it up it only shoot up faster or did not at all. Or maybe I sould change the Min throttle. I mean I do not know why it does not rise up slower or why I cannot slow the props down to a level when they are still spining but slower and I could come down with a manegable manner.

Thank you for your suggestions
You are awsome

nadaslaci666

If you mean puting them to a same programing values or switching off the Lipo cut off and going throught the calibration on the KK board?

Then my answer is yes.

I think I found the problem I've been expirementing with the Tricopter (tie it down so it could raise just a few centimeters from the ground) I found that When I put everything to a neutral position in the transmitter calibration. I used the normal trims not the subtrims.

After that I could pump up the stick scaling on the throttle up to 60 and everything was manegable (before only at 30, it shoot up and did crazy things" I mean It only lifted up a bit and I could slow the props or speed them up on command.

I cannot try it right now because it is dark outside but I hope in the morning everything will be fine. And I also dialed down my PI gain and limit as suggested.

Last edited: