Sterling PT-17 Stearman Restoration

SharkTeethWizard

Master Of The P-40's
Heya Ladies And Gents!!!

Recently I have acquired both this Sterling PT-17 Stearman and a unknown AT-6. Both are of quite the vintage, with the PT-17 being an original release. I have planes to fully restore this aircraft (No E-Conversion, sorry folks!) with a Saito 100 Four Stroke Glow, Scale Radial engine, Actual fabric covering, working struts, and flying wires as per full scale! (Park 480 Shown for scale)

DFE8609F-1557-4E26-B1BA-93E7F42FAB89.jpeg 8AC24481-74DC-4566-A4D1-D7A49EF5E721.jpeg

This beast has a wing span of 64.5”, which I do believe is considered giant scale for biplanes. The 1.8 HP the he saito produces should be more than enough, along with the torque it puts out, to haul this thing around scale, and then some! Updates will be whenever possible, seeing as I have work and school to attend to.

Remember, Internal Combustion rocks!!

Last edited:

SharkTeethWizard

Master Of The P-40's
Surprisingly good! Wish I had a better camera, but oh well

The wings feel solid, the fuse as well, only parts I’m gonna mess with are the landing gear, which I’m replacing with struts, and the Cabannes, which I need to fix, as they are broken. The best part is the whole plane is built scale-like, so the wood will rub the covering where the real thing does. I plan to make this a rather scale flyer.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
How are the glue joints? I’ve had some old restoration projects where they almost fell apart once covering was removed.

SharkTeethWizard

Master Of The P-40's
The glue joints are even stronger than anything I could produce today. (gently) pulling and pushing on them yielded no flex whatsoever, and everything is joined like it’s meant to last a lifetime, which I hope it will.