Stops on the way to Flitefest

crash bandicoot

I saw a more tricky thread on here and thought I would make a more open one about stops on the way to Flitefest.

I myself am coming from Kansas City, stopping in St Louis to pick up my father, and then heading east. There is talk of hitting up the US Air Force museum in Dayton, and we are also thinking the NFL hall of fame will be a rainy weather backup if it gets bad out at Flitetest.

I will also be stopping once in every state and trying to fly if weather allows. I have been trying to fly once in every state I travel in. So far that is only Colorado, Kansas and Missouri. We'll see if I get anymore.

If you are going to the USAF museum and want a cool place to fly a little fpv, look up Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve. it is east of Dayton and would make for some incredible FPV scenery. plus it is not very busy at all. There are some vertical rock faces and waterfalls. not nessesarily amazing but pretty good for ohio. We took the kids there last summer and looking back really think i will take my fpv quad there when i get it finished. 528083_491531577529425_1119514978_n.jpg

crash bandicoot

Thanks for the tip. I'm from Missouri and that looks a lot like what Most of Missouri looks like. If you like rock cliffs you should stop buy the Show-me State sometime.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
+1 cheers for Missouri! ;-)

It will be a straight shot for me. Stops and side trips will be on the return. Maybe a go at the old neighborhood in Cleveland. Or, stop out around the islands to reminisce. Stopping to fly in every state is a neat idea. I will have to give that some thought. Maybe map out some flying fields.

Honestly, I just want to get there, fly and fellowship and enjoy the company of a group of like minded enthusiasts.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy

crash bandicoot

You are alot more organized than I am. My "Flying in Every State" has mostly consisted of flying at a friends house or pulling off at a field and throwing the my Duet or UMX radian around for two minutes and calling that good.

MrClean

If you get up to Omaha, go to the SAC museum. They have a B-36 there. Truly a huge airplane. How huge? They have a B-52 slightly tucked in under it.

WOWSERS!

crash bandicoot

Yes, the USAF museum is tempting but I don't think I can get out of there in a decent amount of time. And I am planning a visit to the new and improved SAC museum sometime. The last time I was there it was still at the AFB, but they were dissabling all the planes. It was weird to see a set of B-52 wings off the fuselage, as well as the engine pods for a B-36 off their wing, and standing vertically, about 25' tall.

rossmort

Is anyone familiar with I80/I90 East of Chicago to Cleveland? I am striking out on finding any places to check out.... Any big hobby stores or just neat places to see?

thomahawk0

As has been said before, USAF Museum is great and can be done in a few hours. It depends on how much reading you would like to do. Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Museum is a good stop if you like auto racing. East of Chicago on I-80 is pretty much farm fields across Indiana and Western Ohio until you get to Cleveland. Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. Near Canton, in addition to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the MAPS Air Museum (http://mapsairmuseum.org), which has a good number of planes and the site of a few early Flite Test episodes.