Strikers away me hearties!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Well, my striker is gone forever, as is my mobius. :(

A few months ago, my uncle asked me to film his boat, so I ordered a mobius and modified my striker into an aerial video platform. After extensive testing, I settled on using a rewound Blue wonder spinning a GWS 7x6 SF prop on a 2200 mah 3 cell. Anyway, I was filming my uncle's boat about 2 miles off shore, and had to move from stern to bow, when a powerboat crossed our path and threw up a wake. When we hit the wake, I slipped and fell, losing the batteries in the remote.:mad: The fail safe kicked in, and last we saw her she was headed due west over the pacific in a slow climb.:(

Last edited:
What exactly is the fail safe? To just keep going with current settings? Is your contact info written on the plane? It may wash up somewhere.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I set the failsafe to Trigger the auto level function on my old flip 1.5 with slight up trim and high power. Yes it is, but after that long in salt water nothing will ever work again. I actually had a good long laugh over it once it set in that it was never coming back, in 5 years of flying, I have never before truly lost an airplane. I've lost them for 2-3 days, but this one is gone. :)

mjmccarron

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. In 36 years of flying I have never lost a plane. I have lost a few for a couple of days and one for 3 weeks but never lost one permanently. BTW to loose one for a couple of days or weeks you only need to hang it in a tree well beyond reach. :(

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Part of me wants to build a small Guillows kit plane and put in a small motor and battery. Not Radio Controlled, but a free flight model that is capable of a few minutes (hours?) of flight. Then I want to go to Blue Mounds State Park, the highest point in southern Wisconsin, climb on top of one of the (pedestrian) towers, and then give the plane a toss and just watch it fly away, never to be seen again. There is something strangely appealing about that.